Carbide Motion 548

Can there be a move to X/Y zero on the jog tab along with having a keyboard shortcut for this action?

On the ‘Rapid Position’ screen, there is ‘Rapid to current X/Y’, which I think does what you want.

I think the text of the button should change - you are always at the ‘current X/Y’, that’s what it means. Maybe ‘Rapid to current zero’ would be better?

1 Like

Thanks, @mhotchin

I was requesting the move to XY Zero to be on the main Jogging tab, not buried in another location, seems like extra clicks. A keyboard short cut would be appreciated as well!

The lack of option to get rid of the warning every time one enters jog mode is what keeps me on an older version.

2 Likes

IMHO, CM is a great product with good work flow, The feedback here is helpful suggestions to go from great to perfection :slight_smile: I do have to agree that it is over chatty with popups, and therefore it warnings might be like car alarms that after a while we pay no attention to :slight_smile: The information may be relevant, I just wonder if there is a better way to convey it other then the annoying pop ups. Maybe a banner just under the Title banner with colored prompts, warnings, errors. Information you don’t have to keep clicking on.

The popup warning you get when you go into the jog screen about changing the tool while in Jog, could just be an info line at the top of the screen. It does not need to be a popup.

The warning that you may not have set Zero when you exit the Jog screen. I get it, however I am not sure how well it meets its objective. There are may reasons to go into Jog other then to set zero :slight_smile: Is there away to remove that popup but still warn the user and maybe there a better trigger sequence to activate the warning so we are not dealing with false warnings.

So just throwing out some spitball thoughts.
A information line at the top of the screens instead up popups.
More of a dashboard on the left side with some check marks/ lights to help with work flow instead of popups.
Maybe an additional tab with more detailed work flow information, check lists, help. This might reduce the need for pop ups on the main screens.

I have thoughts along similar lines.

There are times when you can change the bit, and times when you can’t. To indicate these states, the UI could have a fixed-position appropriately-labelled indicator or panel that is green when you can change a bit, and orange when you can’t. No need for user input or confirmation.

Future machines could have an LED built into them that has the same function.

I also think the operation flow should be reviewed a little, rather than patching it constantly with warnings and popups. I think @neilferreri has mentioned this in that past, but it’s possible to change the flow CM uses so that the bitsetter is only used after the Z zero is set.

1 Like

Hi, I was thinking more of a Standard and Expert mode.

Standard would be like it is now with prompts and all that.

Expert Mode would not have all the prompt and your on your own to do the workflow correctly.

If there is a problem and the person is using Expert Mode support can say go to Standard Mode and run your project again and see if there are still problems as it may be a workflow issue.

Towards the top of Carbide Motion you could have radio buttons to switch from Standard to Expert maybe.

Jeffery

1 Like

I would think you would want to use the BitSetter before you zero Z.

I would think most people put in the bit they are going to use when they zero X, Y, & Z unless it is an odd shape like a V cutter.

Otherwise you would need a tool with a know height. Like a 1/4" rod with a ring on it that only allows it to go into the router or spindle at a known length.

I think that’s a great idea. I get how C3D needs to control the volume of calls and users that claim their spindle “just crashed into their piece didn’t do anything I swear!” - this might help achieve that clear demarcation point. “Expert mode? Don’t cry for help”

I’ve said it before, more then happy if that some file is buried somewhere and requires I go in and edit it to say expert=1 in the file for it to suppress various warnings or enable some features :slight_smile:

I have found the Repetier Host UI much better than the CM UI. I have explained this before, but I guess progress is slow. You can see the RH UI here.

What is not obvious from the image is that each of the six motion areas (X+, X-, Y+, Y-, Z+, Z-) is divided into 3 different bands, from .1 mm to 1 mm to 10 mm. As you move the mouse over the areas, the bands light up to show you what motion would result were you to click at that instant. This is MUCH faster and easier than having to set and reset the Increment values in the CM UI. I hope that some day CM can move forward to where RH was 8 years ago.

1 Like

Hello William
thanks for sharing the new changes.
Just curious, after reset, why does the machine need to measure the bit height?
After reset, usually the user will need to load a new file and confirm the zero coordinates for the system and after that the tool length needs to be measured. Not sure what workflow requires forcing a tool measurement at the beginning? you guys are the experts so an opportunity for me to learn a better work flow :slight_smile:
Also couple of other comments on bitzero:
I noticed the following when I am setting the zero in the corner mode:

• how does the SW know which size bit is installed? does the size of the bit impact the location of the zero? The issue comes if a vbit is installed as the contact can happen at any height?
  • the tools moves to the left, then right, bottom and then top. If the bitzero is set in the lower left corner and then carbide motion moves it further to the left, the bitzero may move slightly, vs if the SW moves it to the right first. Not sure if you tried to measure by moving to the right first and then left, top and then bottom? Just ideas and things i thought might be useful

The machine has to measure the tool length so as to know the initial length for future offsets.

• The software doesn’t know what endmill size is installed, trusting to the user to be aware of this and to only change endmills when the user is prompted to, or the user makes a request.

• The BitZero should be held in place so that it doesn’t move — usually a careful draping of the cable from it will cause it to be held in place well enough to not move.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.