Carbide Motion 557 - Now with previews!

Found the problem, we’ll have a new build later today or tomorrow.

3 Likes

Hi Rob, I did not find any issues with CM 558. Running on a low power (J4125 processor) Win 11 Mini PC with my Shapeoko3-XL. Tried with and without bit setter enabled, tried gcode from multiple sources, tried some Quick Actions and User Quick Actions and everything worked. I had been using gSender as my gcode sender, but with these changes, I think I’m going back to CM. CM uses only about 5% max of the CPU cycles while gSender hits about 50%. I have had a couple of odd issues with gSender that I think are related to the load and with the visualization now available in CM there is no real reason to not use it!

Thanks for this update and for continually making your software better.

Steve

2 Likes

Appreciate the feedback.

We just uploaded 559 to Carbide Motion Beta Downloads . Check it out and let us know if it works. (Pi build to follow tomorrow)

3 Likes

I downloaded, installed, and opened a file in 559 for Windows. Love the preview, and other info tabs. As soon as I run a job, I’ll post results. But that is a super nice addition.

1 Like

Do the VFD-updated build change the “spindle on” command to something else? My build 537 doesn’t work well with “Spindle On”, so I manually do an M3S10000. Not a huge deal, just curious.

It may just be that the button tried to set the RPM to 1500, which is too low to enable the spindle.

That button was originally in there for an edge finder for a Nomad, which is used by almost nobody now. We should probably change it, or remove it at this point.

1 Like

The button was nice to test things out before starting a job. Saves needing a keyboard. Maybe quick-actions would/could replace that though?

I’m a 537 diehard though so no impact on me personally :slight_smile: Plus I’m sure I’ll forget to hit the button on the VFD someday… but with the long spindle dwell I should catch that easily enough :slight_smile:

I ran a job yesterday using 559 and it ran perfectly. 2"x2" brass branding iron with 1 pocket toolpath and 1 contour toolpath.

SP XXL, BitSetter, BitZero, BitRunner

2 Likes

I downloaded 559 and ran it for about 3 hours yesterday. I’m running it in a Shapeoko 3XXL with a HP touchscreen notebook. I ran the same project twice On the first run 4 tool change. X Y Z went over and set the height in the bit setter it went to the usual front XY location, dropped down to cut location, then didn’t stop and went all the way to the X- position. I stopped it in time. I re-initialized, re loaded program run the same next jobs fine.
Pros: I like the big red stop Icon. The 3d work view.
Cons: The page that shows up right before the job starts, is in mm no way to change it. The dwell time is way to long on the tool change. Why every time on an initialization it touches off a tool, A job is going to run any way. Needs a pro mode and a novice mode on tool changes. Thats just my two cents…

Just posted 559 for the Pi to https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/pi

Let us know if anything comes up.

3 Likes

I ran a quick drilling operation on the HDM using CM 559. Posted from F360. I didn’t see previews for those operations like I did the F360 post that had pockets and contours.

Could you send the file in to support@carbide3d.com ?

1 Like

I used 559 on a few jobs last night and found a couple bugs and have some suggestions.

Bugs:

• I had some trouble with the bitzero v1. I used the corner finding mode to set the zero on the first job and everything went fine. The second time I used it, I got lots of unusual behavior. The most common is if I tried to use the corner finding mode, it would find Z and then move left to find X but would never stop. I would have to e-stop the machine. If I restarted CM and re-initialized the bitzero would work again the first time. This was repeatable. I also had other strange behavior such as crashing on job start if I tried to use another probing method after I had already probed once. I also had one instance of CM changing the work zero by about +3" in X and Y and +25" in Z. I could not get these other versions to repeat.
  • On one file CM crashed when I tried to start the job. Not sure if it was related to the probing issues. I reloaded it and it worked fine. Here is the file:
    Upper Rear.nc (477.3 KB)

Suggestions:

• Can we have the details of the new window be in the units that are set in CM? I am a filthy imperial user and metric numbers mean very little to me without a calculator.
  • Perhaps a different location, size or label for the button to open the preview window? When I first tried to re-open that window it took me a minute to find the button. My first thought was to look by all the file load/run/quick actions buttons.
1 Like

We’ll look into the crashes and probing trouble- thanks for the file and the feedback.

It’s actually supposed to modify the units based on the UI. We’ll look into it.

Was the button next to the filename not clear? We hooked the preview pane up to the existing button but it could be that nobody ever clicked on it so they automatically ignore it.

I had never used that button before. If I ever needed to open the gcode directly it was because I wanted to edit it and I did that with notepad. I feel that a button in the cluster of buttons below labeled something like “Job Details” or “File Details” would be more clear to me.

1 Like

I agree that the on-screen “file” button could use a rename with this version. I like the @nwallace had with “Job Details”.

Here is the drill job from F360 that didn’t show any toolpaths in the CM 559 preview:

DrillTest1.nc (4.9 KB)

2 Likes

One other thing with that same file I uploaded. The time estimation was way off. It estimated 15 mins (if I remember correctly) and it was actually more than 30 mins. The time remaining didn’t actually change on the screen until about halfway through the job.

As of right now I have 559 loaded. Running a Dell about 5 years old. I like the improvements.

Ran maybe 20 or more jobs tonight. CM is exhibiting an issue when I load a new job after the last job finished. It shows that it is loading, hangs, than closes. The issue seems to happen at job 3 or 4. I took a break with CM running in the background, came back to find CM closed.

2 Likes

Can you send me the file that crashed it?