Carbide Motion 557 - Now with previews!

Josh Lynch.nc (83.8 KB)
John Ratz.nc (195.0 KB)
Dan Bandit 2.nc (746.0 KB)
Here are Three that I remember failures on.

Those all load OK for me so there must be more to it than the file itself. If you notice a pattern of actions that causes the crash then let me know and we’ll look into it.

Right now, we’re just adding up the distance and calculating the time so it’s almost certainly going to be too low when you account for the acceleration. We may end up embedding a full motion planner to come up with accurate estimates or just apply a simple fix, like adding 50% or so.

We just uploaded 560 with a fix for that and the problem with the units not being shown properly.

https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/beta/

3 Likes

Thanks Rob. Will keep track of it.

1 Like

I am having the same issue as Zman. I can run jobs and then upload the same job with stock size changes and it crashes at 10% loading. Complete disconnect from cutter. Windows 10 CM 559. Not sure but it seems to handle gcode extension better than NC.

Is it a crash, meaning the program shuts down, or does it disconnect but keep running?

disconnects and keeps running. Must be initialized again.

sorry…program also must be rebooted.

Does it show a popup error window?

If it happens again, please post a screenshot of the state of the program after the disconnect. If it pops up an error box, please show that.

1 Like

OK. On East coast, done for today. I will run something tomorrow.

I only mentioned it because the previous version of CM I was running was more accurate on the same job.

1 Like

CM 559 seemed to work as expected using my MacBook with the exception of having a longer than usual wait time between the Start button and the seeing the Tool Change prompt. The wait time was around 15 seconds or so, usually it’s instantaneous. The .nc file is pretty small, 40 KB, no tool changes, bitsetter disabled.
drawer guide.nc (37.7 KB)

1 Like

Ed

On my Win 10 there is a long pause between start and the router moving to front center (BitSetter) and asking for tool. My laptop is an HP I5 Intel. The difference may be operating system speed or the code for win vs mac.

If I disable BitSetter the same delay except wherever the router is I get the tool prompt. This is with latest stable cm not beta. I have always had this behavior with win version. Lucky you if mac was faster.

Version 560 is out on beta now, for everyones info.

Ran a few projects generated from Fusion in MDF. No issues to report. Really love the preview feature. I’m making drawer inserts, so it was helpful to be able to verify which insert I’m about to be making right before running.

2 Likes

Have you done any videos on what it looks like and info on how to use it
Jeff Peters

It’s just a couple of screens — I made a post recently where I showed what the new screens look like for reference when doing tech support.

1 Like

I finally had a chance to install and run the file that wouldn’t run, and all is good. Thanks!!

2 Likes

We just uploaded 561 with some fixes to the Quick Action and MDI trouble that some users were having. (We were not explicitly setting the parser to MM before running MDI and Quick Action code)

Grab it at https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/beta and let us know how it works for you.

For what it’s worth, @edwardrford and I both happened to spend time with a machine over the weekend and the preview saved both of us from running a bad job. We’d love all the feedback we can get at this point because we really think this should be moved to the stable release as soon as possible.

5 Likes

No issues found from me, but a change request. It would be handy for me if you could load a gcode file without needing to initialize the machine first. This way I can double-check my generated gcode files from my design PC which is not at my Shapeoko. I must admit that seeing where the expected zero position is in the preview is fantastic. I jump between using the top or bottom of the stock as z-zero a lot and hopefully now I won’t screw up my zero position anymore.

Example from ver 560. A small Guitar Pick box. The top design uses z zero at top of stock and the pockets and cut-outs use z-zero at the stock bottom.

GuitarPickBox_SBL.c2d (2.7 MB)
InsideCuts_3Endmills_ZBottom.nc (485.5 KB)
OutsideDesign_ZTop.nc (464.6 KB)

8 Likes

Will be loading and testing in the next few days. Thank you for all the work and always continuing to improve. This community is incredible.

2 Likes

That’s something we’d consider in the future. Our thought was that you’d be checking the toolpath in your CAM program prior to exporting the G-code, and your CAM program is likely to have better simulation than CM.

Anyone else have feedback on 561?

1 Like