Carbide Motion 618 super slow on my computer

Hello Everyone, first post here!

Just bought a new Shaperpro and now trying to initialize the machine.
Problem: Carbode motion is super slow (kind of not responding/ hard to close) making it impossible to use.

• it happens whether or not the USB is connected
  • hardware minimal requirements are met (2Ghz proc, 8Go RAM)
  • all other programs are shut off.
  • I’ve tried to disable antivirus/malware/etc => same
  • run the program on another GPU (graphic card and not integrated one) => same
  • run the program on compatibility mode (windows 7/8) => same
  • I even have reinstalled windows (10) and completely reset my laptop => same

Also I have noticed same phenomenon as mentioned here:

“it seems that if I open a second instance of Carbide motion it seems to work more or less normally, and the first instance kind of disappears (I can’t alt+tab back to it but it is visible if I hold alt+tab). If I close carbide motion only the working second instance will close, the first instance cannot be closed unless I go through task manager.”

Any clue what might cause this?
Thanks

There are a lot of hardware and software combinations out there. Most Windows computers when you shutdown simply capture the state of the machine and write it out to a file and when you power back on that state is replicated. This can cause maddening effects to users.

If you are having problems always restart and not shutdown. A restart does not replicate the state of your machine and starts over with a new kernel loaded and all the drivers and modules refreshed.

There are instructions on how to change the default behavior of Windows to always load a new kernel on shutdown and not keep replicating problems caused by the state being captured when shutting down. I have an i7 Intel processor so it might be an extra 10 seconds to boot up over the default setting of shutting down and powering up.

Is the Log window open?

Yes I have tried restarting it over and over already… no changes

The log window? In carbide motion?

Yes, the Log window being open is the usual cause of this sort of slowdown.

Is there any way to contact directly another member of the forum?
It seems " TheBigJam[James] had exactly the same problem, I would be happy to ask him directly

It’s slow as soon as I open Carbide Motion, from the strat screen. Might be worong, bu no log window in there

Yes, click on their name to send them a PM.

I’ve upgraded your Trust level, so you should be able to do that.

If you are running Windows you can open Task Manager and you have an option to always put Task manager on top. If Carbide Motion is running slow it can be caused by your disk running at close to 100% or low on Memory or the CPU running near 100%. All of those things will make your applications seem to be running slow when you are out of resources

Hit the Ctrl Alt and Delete together and pick the Task Manager. Do that before you open CM to get a base line of the resources you have available. Then open CM and see if those resources change. Additionally you can get a ranking of what is using CPU/Memory/Disk.

2 Likes

Thanks Gdon, but this is clearly not a resource (proc or ram) problem. I’m more than confortable using the task manager.
As I said, having 2 sessions of carbide motion running at the same time make the 2nd one run smoothly…

Also, I have downloaded and installed CM 582 and it works just fine

Couldn’t find any solution. Decided to reset the whole computer, reinstalled windows and then it worked…
Not the solution I hoped :frowning:

I know it is tough to reload a computer. There is hours and hours of work that goes into setting up a computer from scratch. The good news is it fixed your problem. This however illustrates that your problem was local to your environment and not a C3D problem. I have been on the forum for a long time and certain things pop up over an over and that you can attribute to a C3d problem like bad bearings in the C3D router. However when a 1 of problem occurs it is almost always local to the environment of the user. Glad you are fixed.

Microsoft Windows is one of the most defective products in modern history. Yet is is still the most used desktop software in the world. Each new update is one step forward and two steps back. Each new version leaps ahead 5 steps only to finally be 10 steps back. Bill Gates got rich on a very defective product. He no longer runs Microsoft but still gets a lot of money from a defective product. I recommend you send Bill Gates a valentine and thank him for screwing you over.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.