Carbide Motion and Fusion 360 Trace.nc

I made a model with Fusion 360 and created three *.nc toolpaths: Pocket, Trace and Contour. The Pocket and Contour files route fine using Carbide Motion. However, when I try route the Trace.nc file, then Shapeoko moves the Z axis higher than mechanically possible (making the step motor slip for couple of seconds), then XY axis move correctly to the starting position, then then the Z axis moves way too far down and buries the V bit deep into the wood instead for making a shallow V-Groove.

I tested my toolpaths in the Fusion Simulator before I did the Post Process and it routed as expected making shallow V groves on top of the material.

Has anyone had same problems when using the Fusion Trace?
How can I trace this problem… is the problem in Fusion 360, Carbide Motion or in the Shapeoko firmvare?

Btw: I am using Shapeoko 3 XXL with Z-Plus and Carbide Motion build 521.

I hope you can help me figuring this out,
KHV

Same post processor?
If it’s not your retract height, can you share your gcode?

Two usual causes are retract height or a post that adds a G28 Z move you weren’t prepared for.

1 Like

Hello Neil,
Again you are 100% right, the retract height was too high. I don’t know how that happened, but it was 4.0 inches instead for 0.4 inches.

Thank you VERY MUCH,
Kjartan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.