Carbide motion build 563 crashed after homing

Pro XL 2 months old.
I will share a strange and baffling action that happened yesterday after 2 months of working just fine. After homing which seemed to work, Carbide motion crashed without any further error messages. So I rebooted the computer and reinstalled the software and resent the configuration info and still carbide motion would crash.
After trying my old computer with the previous software version of carbide motion, I at least got an error message instead of a silent crash. (Do not now whether they have changed something to handle errors in the new version).
The previous version showed a “GRBL Error: Homing Failed, pull off didn’t clear”. I searched for that and found two threads in which the issue was described. I followed one advice and set $27 to a higher value and that worked and the homing completed but then I recognized that the y movement was no longer smooth. I checked the motors and looked closer at both y motor pulley. At the left side the set screws definitely were not aligned with the flat portion of the shaft any longer. It was hard to remove even after removing the two screws on the pulley. I used a wide blade screw driver to pry the pulley off and saw a lot of burrs and used a stone and fine sandpaper to remove them. Then I used removable locktite and aligned the screw with the flat and installed the motors again.

I thought that now my problems would be solved but the y movement still didn’t work well. After removing both belts from the y motors after homing and jog the machine I saw that the right motor was not moving at all. After swapping the cable from the left and the right side to see whether I have a problem with the control board or cable, I noticed that the left side was now not working and the right side was working. So now I am sure that the motor is fine and the cable from the control board is working but the control board for the one motor is not sending any signal any longer.

1 Like

Hi Scotty,
I recommend sending in an e-mail to the support mailbox so that the control board issue can be resolved.
Also for the X-axis movement, it’s worth reviewing the linear rail maintenance guide if the movement isn’t smooth: https://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/linear-guide-maintenance/Linear_Rail_and_Guide_Maintenance_02-17-2021_v1.0.pdf

2 Likes

Thanks, I am aware of the linear rail maintenance and do have the things at hand. The movement was not smooth because one motor was not working at all. That is not quite obvious when the move it slowly and is more obvious when you move faster but still not clear whether that is a a problem with the motor or something else. That is why I removed the belts and then it was clear that one motor is not working at all.
I removed one motor and plugged it directly into the controll board and that makes it clear that the problem is not the cable but the controll board itself.

Let us know about this at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll get this sorted out.

Thanks, I already contacted support but so far things are not sorted out. Interestingly I found another case in one of the Facebook groups that had the exact same problem. The right motor stopped working and it was first not clear what was wrong there.

I’m currently having the exact same problem with the same build number of carbide motion on my shapeoko 3xxl. I have contacted support and we have replaced the x limit switch and then the error switched to the y. Hopefully we can all get this figured out.

You mean with the same problem the silent crash after homing with no further error messages ?

yes exactly. I’m not having the motor issues though. Just the homing and crashing issue.

Have you tried the previous software build and see if an error message is shown?

Yes, I updated thinking it would hopefully solve it.

So it seems that the error handling - at least when it comes to homing errors - is rather worse than better in the new version.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.