Carbide Motion on a Raspberry Pi

Logitech F310 is the only controller we test. If that model is discontinued then we’ll find another cheap option to recommend.

Others may work but there are just too many to test so we picked a cheap, readily-available model.

3 Likes

So, does anyone have feedback from the last build before the weekend? Everything working ok?

1 Like

I got it installed on my 8GB Pi4, headless, using the image provided by @fenrus. Ran a 35 minute operation drilling holes in my washboard for screw inserts. Jogged it using the game controller. No issues with any of the operations. During my testing, I ran a 13" display and the resolution was fine, but I could hardly see it with my bad eyes. Update the Pi to use 1024x768 so I could get the realVNC to connect headless and it worked fine. My display was my iPad Air (4th gen) running over realVNC. almost no lag now that I have my wifi fixed.
Created the project files in CC on my Mac mini and uploaded the files to the pi via the Samba share set up in the image.
So far, so good.

4 Likes

I am really happy to see this is being worked on. Thank you!
I dusted off an old Raspberry Pi 3B+ (only 1GB RAM), clean install of latest Raspberry Pi OS, connected old 1440x900 monitor and controlled with Rii i8+ Mini Bluetooth Keyboard with a touchpad. Installed nothing except Carbide Motion and Samba file server.
Threw together a design full of random shapes and pocket tool paths. Was able to push that file over the network from CAD PC to the shared folder on the Pi.
Spent some time clicking all the buttons in Carbide Motion (GUI and keyboard shortcuts) then loaded the file and let 'er rip. 30+ minute process without any issues.
Great job. Thanks again.

2 Likes

hi ! i instal carbide.deb all i’s ok but i can’t change the area size X.5.00 Y.5.00 from original download . i choise my machine and the good size (XL 800X400) but after send configuration data carbide don’t change the size… so i can work 5x5 cm …somebody can help me please ?

Send the Machine configuration (set the Travel Dimensions under “Load Defaults”), see:

1 Like

Rob,

I am very sorry I did not post. Yes it is working. I made some things. See screen grabs.

Everything is working as desired. I have a webcam running so I can watch from my easy chair inside the house, rsync moving the files from my mac to the device, touch screen is working. I was able to crash the entire thing a couple times but that was my knee hitting the power button.

My only complaint is wood is not free and I have to work which is hampering my design time. Do you have a fix for those bugs?

Thanks!

T

5 Likes

very thank for your help its just i dons see the bottom of the windows i change my screen just for do “reglage” and now its ok !!! YOUR THE BEST :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank very much is perfect

1 Like

There’s an OK button at the top of the screen that you don’t see. You’ll need to move that settings window up to see it.

I think we’ll have to see if we can make the inner window scroll and limit the overall height to keep the OK button visible.

I also think it makes sense to start in full screen mode if we can tell that we’re on a small (7") screen so we’ll probably do that in the next build.

3 Likes

New build at: https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/pi/

• (NEW) Program starts in full screen mode if running on small screens.
  • (NEW) Toggle full screen button in Settings->User Interface.
  • (NEW) Settings window changes size based on screen size.
7 Likes

if you’re detecting small screens, do you also want to auto-detect touch screens?
(not complicated to do)

4 Likes

I’m game. How would we detect a touch screen?

3 Likes

so in Linux, the kernel exposes a set of properties for each input device, including an “abs” property, for absolute positioning. Only touch screens have this property basically.
these properties are in the /sys filesystem:

/sys/class/input/input*/capabilities/abs

(where with input* I mean ‘every directory starting wtih input’)

so just iterate through those and if there’s a ‘1’ in there in any of them, there’s a touch screen.

3 Likes

I will note that a Wacom (or other brand) graphics tablet should show thus as well — came across a post that the Wacom One works and am planning on getting one for my machine.

Have you guys decided to support this? That is the only thing I am waiting on before I get myself all the bits to make my setup.

1 Like

Merveilleux !!! the new version full screen is the best / with VNC on my phone i can pilot my shapeoko evrywhere on the world … when i connecte iphone/vnc/RASPBERRY the full screen directly do my iphone is a consol pilote indepandent the touch screen with full sceen. c’est magique ! … and with “a connected power outlet” Alexa ! stop my “shapeoko” please et hop i go to sleep. thanks !!

3 Likes

This thread is awesome! I’m now considering a Pi to replace my MacBook Air…

Please indulge me with a couple of answers to my novice questions, though, as I’m not techie orientated and I’m hoping any transition would be simple, so here goes:

With a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B – 8Gb, 7" touchscreen and the necessary cables (are they included or do I need to buy them separately?) and a power supply, is it a simple case of installing the Pi OS, loading CM and then getting on with the project, or are there geeky programming things I’d need to do?

Thanks

2 Likes

My understanding is that what is involved is:

• source a Pi (note that at this time there’s no need to get a an 8GB unit since most operating systems can’t use the extra memory — 4GB should be fine — that said, I’m planning on sourcing a second 8GB unit and am curious about OSs which would support that)
  • assemble/connect it (still waiting on a touch screen myself)
  • boot up the computer using the default OS (Raspbian) and allow the OS to update
  • download the install file for Carbide Motion and install it

Note that @fenrus has worked up a customized image which simplifies the above.

A post earlier in this thread from @fenrus:

fenrusArjan van de Ven

17d

(I will make a new image with the new CM in the next 30 minute or so; I might not be able ot test it tonight though)

Griff: the step basically are 1) download the .zip file from url I posted before 2) write that zip file to a microsd card 3) put that card in the raspberry pi and turn it on

1. is the complicated step in this, it starts iwth grabbing the raspberry pi imager tool from

Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi OS – Raspberry Pi

The Raspberry Pi is a tiny and affordable computer that you can use to learn programming through fun, practical projects. Join the global Raspberry Pi community.

there’s a video on that site with a quick walk through; the key difference is in the screen where you pick the OS to install, there you need to pick custom and select the zip file you got in step 1.

and… well that’s mostly it.

2 Likes