Carbide Motion on a Raspberry Pi

Well that was a journey reading through this thread. I love eveything about using the Pi for motion. Not only does it allow for saved space around the machine, but the flexibility that is afforded to you by using a Linux distribution (Raspbian) is very exciting. Going to start piecing together my build as soon as I get home today, thanks everyone for ironing out all the issues to make this so easy! Cheers

2 Likes

@robgrz so I downloaded the latest release of CM tonight (541) and noticed a small issue while jogging using the Z+ and Z- buttons in the GUI. If I press and hold either Z+ or Z- key I’m occasionally getting the following GRBL error.

I’m running a Shapeoko Pro XXL with the new HDZ installed and it seems to only occur with the 1mm increments on the Z axis. Sometimes it also seems to jog OK with no error but by pressing and holding in the opposite Z direction the error comes up fairly consistently. By clicking OK is goes away and it appears that the machines position in reference to the X,Y,Z coordinates are still valid which is good.

I also noticed the new warnings/pop-up messages about jogging around before setting zero and not to change tools which I get why but maybe it would be nice to have a check box to disable it from popping up again. One of the new messages had the checkbox to disable it but the other did not.

1 Like

I get this (and always have) on a Windows PC with my Shapeoko if I am in 1mm mode and spam (rapidly hit) or hold down the W-A-S-D keys.

I suspect it is not waiting for the previous instruction to finish before sending the next.

3 Likes

I understand that GRBL has a ‘smooth movement’ algorithm for continuous movements, but that does not kick in for the small step movements. There has been discussion about making this smooth movement more intelligent to kick in, but I too have experienced (on CM, UGS and others) this ‘commands to fast’ warning dialog.

Where did you get 541?

Too bad about the popups. No doubt to reduce z-plunging questions to support, but those of us who use Change Tool religiously should have the option to suppress.

here:

3 Likes

Ah, I see the Pi is ahead of windows, was just checking the main download page from time to time :slight_smile:

The Pi is still in testing, so no beta page for it.

The Windows and Mac versions are in beta:

https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/beta

1 Like

Winston saw that in an earlier test but we thought we fixed it. I’ll look into it more today.

For the time being, and probably forever, the “Would you like to measure your tool?” popup will not be dismissable with a “Don’t ask again” check box. A while ago we removed the mandatory tool check when entering jogging and that’s led to a lot of the “Unexpected plunge” complaints when people start jobs.

This new popup is less restrictive than the old mandatory check but we’re hoping that it protects people from tool changes done at the wrong time.

That’s good feedback, we’ll try that specifically today.

5 Likes

One more update for the weekend, CC542

https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/pi/

8 Likes

Hi there, great work! Are there any plans to bring back the Web-UI? Does CM support a webcam?

No immediate plans but we continue to have that in mind and we update different parts of the program. Maybe one day.

Not at this point.

3 Likes

Just noticed version 547 dropped today and looks like it comes with quiet a few changes.

5 Likes

Do you have a script watching the page? You noticed that waaay too quickly.

5 Likes

Thats a good idea but no. I noticed the beta changes on Windows and Mac platforms and figured it was coming soon for the Pi so been keeping an eye on it.

1 Like

Last night I got Carbide Motion setup on a Pi 4 8gb with the official 7” Pi touchscreen. Seemed to work flawlessly (besides the machine coordinates window being scrunched) and it’s so nice not having to move my laptop or dedicate a full shop machine to my Shapeoko.

I’d love to see official support for the 7” touchscreen, it’s plenty big and I have no desire to have a larger screen getting in my way.

2 Likes

Is there anyone running this on a Raspberry Pi Desktop? (the OS version for windows and MAC computers)
I just gave the CM on a PI 3B a test and seems to run great. but i also have an older lenovo tablet with windows 10 which for some reason has installed a 32bit os instead of 64 version. not sure if it is hardware requirements but seems to have the minimum req. 2gb Ram and x64 bit atom processor, so the way i see it I have 2 options to try,

1.- Install a fresh 64bit version of windows and see if it works with my hardware
OR
2: what i think would be way better performing is install the Pi OS and PI version of CM.

The main problem with #2 would be I don’t think I’ll be able to install the downloaded .deb file on the atom processor but should be able to install from command line right?? (I’m not that great on Linux but would love to give it a try if anyone knows how to do this)

Allan.

I don’t believe it would work, since it would need to be recompiled, unless Pi Desktop includes emulation for Arm?

Why not just run CM for Windows on the Lenovo? I don’t think CM has gone to 64-bit yet.

Thanks Will, you are right it’s still 32 for some reason (probably CC) i thought it wasn’t and didn’t even think to try, ts running now.

You may already know but you can download a current patched version of Windows 10 from microsoft.com and install it. You would loose any OEM software but you get a fresh 64 Bit Windows OS and you can usually go to the OEM sites and get any of their software.

Be sure to record your Windows License #. Most modern computers have the license in the BIOS but better to be safe than sorry.

Take a look at this page about the Atom Processor. Some are only 32 Bit Processors.