Carbide Motion Release Causes Shutdown

Two RC version have now caused the same fault, beta does not exhibit issue. Starting with RC 622 running my code causes the machine to shutdown mid operation. Installed Beta 634 operation resumed functionally normally. Upgraded to Release 635 and previous “crash/shutdown” issue occurs. Something in the release candidates is causing a processing error with my 3 XXL. Re-installed 634 Beta, normal function without issue. Same G-code file.

Before “well upload your file”, it has been multiple files the only commonality has been they use the texturing feature. Failure point is different when using the same file. Same version of carbide create, but two different release motion versions have exhibited the same issue.

Is there a log file that can be accessed?

Yes, it is possible to show the Log:

and you can check a file by enabling MDI, then sending

$C

which will put Grbl into “Check Mode”, then you can send the file and the machine will process it in its entirety, but won’t move (which speeds things up quite a bit).

Please let us know what you find out.

If you’ll upload the file and let us know the specifics of your setup we can try the same thing on as similar a setup as we can cobble together.

Very nice! I will re-install 635 and run it in Check Mode then post the results and file if it fails again. It did run yesterday (4 hours) without a hiccup. Shut everything down over night, failed twice in <15min this morning. Similar situation happened with 622.

I ran it in check mode and it worked fine, so I started a real run and the machine looses connection 10-15% into the job. BitRunner stays on, but CMotion says lost connection and the machine stops moving. I started another pass with the log open to hopefully catch the error.

If a file runs okay in check mode, but doesn’t when cutting, the problem is loss of communication.

How is that explained by switching versions of carbide motion without changing any other factors? Attached are the file, and now very strange behaviour from the machine. Very short staccato movements, followed by periods of normal speed movement.

Is my controller dying?
StreeNumberSign10084004.c2d (1.4 MB)
Video.zip (2.0 MB)

1 Like

Usually what works for me is:

• restarting
  • not launching any other application
  • running Carbide Motion and nothing else

That’s nuts. It’s a dedicated machine (i5-11320H w/ 16GB ram) that only runs google drive and carbide motion/create. I used the same file, and installed 634 beta over 635 RC and works perfectly. If it’s a paging issue/memory buffer issue, something must be different in the release versions starting about 622 than the Beta versions

Thanks for running through this with me.

I’ve had a couple of instances of the 635 Pi build stuttering when sending files, but only because I left open the web browser I used to download a file for cutting (things picked up as soon as I quit)

What are the specs of the machine and who made it? Dell? I know there were some complaints of the Dell Bluetooth driver causing issues during the beta.

1 Like

That seems like a significant change between versions for there to be more disconnects based on the technical environment. I’ll skip new features for stability any day.

Between 634 and 635 there were only three lines of code changed, all of which are part of the BitSetter V1 corner probing macro.

The serial/USB code hasn’t changed in almost a year and there are definitely no memory or paging issues on any modern PC.

2 Likes

I found the specs for the wrong computer (one runs a laser), the CNC is:

Beelink SEI10 Mini PC 10th Generation Intel i5-1035G4 Processor,(up to 3.70GHz) Windows 10 Pro Mini Computer with Kingston 16G DDR4 RAM. Bluetooth has been disabled since I first turned it on. Monitor, keyboard, mouse, S3XXL, and wifi to a local network for file sharing.

I’m not sure what to say. I had a 6XX version that worked, cut a set of signs. Saw that it was a bit out of date so grabbed 622, next attempt at similar sign saw machine disconnection within 1hr of starting. Realized I no longer had the install, so tried 634 beta. Did a full system restart and it worked great, had been working great. Saw the 635 release and figured “well 634 worked, so let’s grab a stable version”. Cut one side of a sign with 634 two days ago, next day (everything gets powered down but not unplugged) insalled 635 and failed twice about the same spot during a pocketting operation. Tried unplugging everything for a full reset, no luck.

Without a reset (CNC stayed powered on), no windows reset, installed 634 back over 635 and she’s been chooching since without issue.

It’s entirely possible there is an intermittant cabling issue, or my controller board is on the way out. Will try a new cable and 635 again tomorrow.

coincidentally I do have a BitSetter V1…

When you reinstall 635, are you using the same download every time or are you downloading a fresh copy?

1 Like

So far have used same copy, good call. I will download a fresh one for the next trial.

Does the computer you are using happen to have Bluetooth capabilities? If so, go into your Windows settings and turn it off, even if you don’t connect via Bluetooth.

I don’t know why, but myself and other users have seen issues with connections that was caused by Bluetooth being enabled in Windows. The issue may have existed before v635 but for some reason, it seems more prevalent in v635. For me, I couldn’t connect to my Pro during the v635 install even though I was wired to it via USB. As soon as I turned Bluetooth off, it connected immediately. I tried turning Bluetooth back on post installation, but the response was slow and I had periodic disconnects. Since turning Bluetooth back off and leaving it off, the connection has been much faster and I have yet to have a disconnect (approximately 25 jobs since then).

This may or may not be your issue, but at least worth trying since it has been the source of issues for some of us.

2 Likes

I downloaded a fresh copy (and replaced the USB cable). So far it has been stable. Must have been a corrupt download, just odd that it was the same symptoms when installed 622.

1 Like