Carbide Motion Software Exited

Has anyone ever had an issue with Carbide Motion just shutting down? The whole software justed exited out.

This is a first for me. I managed to get the software back up, but the file was gone so I loaded it back up.

When I go to jog, it naturally wants to begin homing cycle, but I didn’t click it because my router and bit are down in the material and I don’t want to snap the bit. I managed to wiggle the dust boot off in down position.

Any idea what to do?

Also, any idea why the software shut down? Or has this happened to anyone else? My internet connection seems to be fine. Nobody upstairs lost internet :sweat_smile:

Carbide Motion has some bugs. There has been rapid development lately incorporating the Pro version and many have complained about the stability. So depending on what version you are running the bugs multiply with the later versions. One thing to consider is the size of your files. Many have commented that large files tend to crash more than small files. Also the standard comment from any support personnel is are you current with your operating system and drivers on your computer. I am not criticizing anyone for asking that question but many times the latest firmware/patch/feature bundle will fix a multitude of problems. So check basics like what version you are running and see if it is the latest supported version.

1 Like

I’m excited for the pro version!

And Ty for your recommendation. I doubled checked my system is up to date, turned off the Shapeoko, lifted the y axis by hand, turned it back on, reloaded file and ran homing cycle. Now my machine is running at 200% overdrive to catch up to where I was :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

If you know where the machine was, or have some measurable feature:

• open up the G-Code file in a text editor
  • identify the preamble and copy it — see https://docs.carbide3d.com/software-faq/grbl-g-code-definitions/ for the details of the codes
  • go to the line # which corresponds to a move down to the cutting depth in question
  • scroll up from there until you find a move down from safety height
  • delete everything from the line above that line to the beginning of the file
  • paste in the preamble at the beginning
  • save under a new name
1 Like

The Z axis will home first, then X & Y. Shouldn’t be a problem to home with the endmill in material.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.