Carbide Motion - Status:

There is a line on the CM UI that, on my machine, reads

While this is a fascinating sequence of numbers what do they mean, why are they on the Run screen?

Screen grab of this?

Which version are you using?

I am using v635
It also is in 636

Normally that area shows descriptive G-code comments — does that text appear in the G-code?

Interesting!. Why yes it does.
What an odd thing to do. Do I have any options to make this more meaningful?

I would guess it is a GUID that represents a version for the Vectric post program.
Or a unique ID for the installation of the software.

1 Like

I am using Vectric Vcarve Pro and it also adds exactly that same text comment code in the second line of every gcode file I make. So it has something to do with Vcarve’s id stamping. I had asked the same question a week ago and never got any answer.

Just curious, have you upgraded to Vcarve 12 and had the Carbide Motion time remaining display change to “TextLabel” instead of a time value? Just curious.

Thanks,

Allen

Hi Ron, so I decided to dig a bit deeper and change Vectric post processors to see what would happen and the string code does change with the different post processor configuration.

So, the string you showed in your screen capture is exactly the same I have as well for the Vectric built-in Post Processor for the Shapeoko Pro XXL Carbide Motion Controller.

That’s my best guess it is an ID stamp for the version of selected Vectric Post Processor. I wonder why they couldn’t have just used the text descriptor instead of the code string which us newbies would have immediately understood.

Thanks,

Allen

Hey Ron,

I did some more checking to answer your Status line question more. Carbide Create adds into the gcode file more comments than what Vectric software does. Carbide Motion looks for the keyword comments from CC and displays them in the Status line in CM.

For example, the word “Toolpath” is a keyword that CM will display. So, CC will add a comment line such as (Toolpath: Contour Toolpath 1) into the gcode and CM will read that and display it on the Status line. Thus that is something the Vectric software does not do that CC and CM does.

Therefore, in my opinion, the Status line for non Carbide Create generated gcode files is pretty useless. For non-CC files it seems CM just displays the second comment line it encounters and that is all, for Vectric files it appears to be the Post Processor file config ID.

It certainly makes sense, at least to me, that that is a handshake benefit between CC and CM that is built-in to them.

Hope that helps answer your question better.

Thanks,

Allen

1 Like

Allen, thank you for taking the time to research this.
I am using vectric 11.016 and have not upgraded yet.
The whole comment thing with CM keeps coming up it seems.
It will be interesting see if the post processor could be edited to make this line useful.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I just finished testing my edited post processor. I got rid of the alphanumeric revision string for a english text version. I also added a text line display for the toolpath name and tool number that displays on the Status line in CM.

You have to copy the v5 of the post processor into your MyPOST folder and then select in under the machine configuration.

Anyway if you want to try it at your own risk I will attach it for you.

Regards.

Allen
Carbide Motion ATC (mm) v5.zip (1.2 KB)

1 Like

Hello Allen,

I have the perfect project to test it on. I will let you know how it goes.

Ron

Hey Ron,

If you have trouble finding the right folder, look for:
C:\ProgramData\Vectric\Vcarve Pro\V11.0\My_PostP

Let me know how it goes.

Later,

Allen

So I unzip the file. Placed it in C:\ProgramData\Vectric\Aspire\V11.0\My_PostP
Went to vectric v11.0.16 → Machine → Install Post Processor
Selected Carbide Motion ATC (mm) v5.pp
Clicked Open
Recevied this pop up
Deleted the file, redownloaded the zip
Repeated as above
Same result.

Yes, sorry, don’t do it that way. Go to the main listing of post processors and it should be at the very top of the list with a little pencil next to it indicating it is an edited version of the default. Select that.

When you put a post in the My_PostP folder Vectric automatically puts it at the top of the main listing for you. It does not need the external install if I understand it correctly.

Let me know.

Allen

Ok that worked. gcode appears to be good I will try it on a project in the morning.
Thank you for the help.

Ron

No problem. Keep in mind, whatever you type as the toolpath name when you create the toolpath is what will show up in the status line.

Good Luck, hope that helps you better than just that meaningless ID string.

Allen

Allen,
Great work. The status line is useful now.
Screenshot 2024-05-11 130801

Thank you,
Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks!

Allen

Hi Ron,

I was working on a standalone program to add pass info to the status today and needed to make a couple changes to the post processor. So I am attaching a version 5a for you.

Thanks,

Allen
Carbide Motion ATC (mm) v5a.zip (1.5 KB)