Carbide Motion V6 Beta

I’m on a lenovo P1 laptop running windows 10 pro. I was trying to setup a Nomad 3.

Shapeoko 4 Standard
z Plus
Bitrunner, Bitsetter V2
Installed CM608 Beta
Ran Setup Wizard,
All good until Bitsetter section.
Choices are “use current position” (not good since it had homed the machine), or “use default position”. Chose the latter. Goes to proper X position, runs the Y forward to extreme position and rattle the servos on the belts. Way past the Bitsetter button.
If you wait out the rattle and go to next screen, it appears to be a screen that would let you jog. None of the buttons, or the keyboard, will move anything.
Exit the wizard and go to settings. Only option for Bitsetter is to enable/disable, nothing to set location.
Reloaded latest official release, all good.
Any ideas anyone?

Typically bitsetter is disabled for the first configuration. Make sure your machine settings are correct and disable bitsetter. It should home. Then go to your location and go to settings and enable using the current location. It’ll have to initialize again. This should set your bitsetter to the correct location.

1 Like

Launch Carbide Motion, connect to the machine, then click on the version #, then choose “Open Data Directory” in the resultant window, then delete all the Carbide Motion preference/machine description files, then try again.

1 Like

Thank Will.

Next question.

After initialization I am asked to install bit. It is near the bitsetter location. I kind of like center or a bit left of center. Can we change locations? Would suspect that the location chosen by CM is to save a bit of time in movement.

At this time it isn’t possible to change the locations. I believe the reasons for changing to the new/right location are:

• reduce travel time/distance
  • make tool changes easier when tiling large stock (imagine a 4x8 sheet of plywood sticking out the front of the machine)
1 Like

Grabbed the latest build today (6/4) and installed it on my Mac Mini.

The setup wizard worked a treat with my SO4 std. BitSetter setup worked perfectly, including adjusting the X/Y location for testing each bit.

Very nice improvement over V5.

Tried that. In settings, there is an enable bitsetter button, nothing to tell it where to go,

Your menu color selections make it very hard for us old folk to see the choices (lime green bars and white fonts?). Where would I find the version #?

1 Like

I will echo the choice of color scheme. “lime green bars with white fonts”
Please consider your user base.

Thanks

hi, thanks for 607, has been working nicely for me sofar.

just ran into one problem in the settings wizard

on my Shapeoko Pro with VFD i got into trouble because the wizard sets maximum (minimum) Y to -850.

my bitsetter is outside that envelope so i had to change it in the json to “bitSetterY”: -854.0, (after changing “travelY”: -855.0. to : -850)

there is no way to do this in a settings window anymore am i correct?

greetings Tony

ps. i also regretted selecting “popup when spindle speed change” or alike…
the only way to change this would be re-running the wizard or doing it by hand in json right?
my guess is that messing with json won’t be your preferred user scenario :slight_smile:

Thank you for continuing to support and improve this software. Any improvement in 3d simultaneous xyz code would be greatly appreciated. The horizontal paths could be assisted by rotation angles, waterline, flow line, consistent scallop, hybrid and others if/when available.

Just purchased the material cutter for this plastics and paper. Can’t wait to use it.

Downloaded the Beta version yesterday and went through the configuration wizard with no trouble.

When I started to run the first job everything was looking good - it prompted for the tool change, measured it on the bitsetter and then paused for about 1 second before it took off to start cutting.

I hit the Stop button to stop since the router was not turned on and the dust boot wasn’t in place. I expected to get the prompt to set the router RPM and then would confirm that was done by hitting the resume button - no pop-up window appeared.

I ran the job a second time and it behaved the same way - I ended up hitting the pause button so I could put the dust boot on and start the router. I hit the start button and it proceeded to cut the job out with no trouble.

I looked in the settings tab to see if I might have missed selecting the router or VFD option - but did not find a choice to be made.

Maybe I missed something in the wizard but I went through it pretty carefully…

Was being sarcastic.
Lime green background with white letters NOT a good choice.
Need more contrast between menu bars and lettering.

Did all of this. Ran setup wizard, chose proper setup, unchecked bitsetter, finished wizard.
Connected machine, initialized, Jogged to bitsetter location. Clicked settings. Window popped up to zero at current location or not, tried both.
Once it came back “close” to button, tried to drill down through bitsetter housing.
All other times tried to use home as bitsettere location.

Did it. Made no difference in problem with Bitsetter.

ran a job yesterday with 608, I like that “fast” positioning is much faster again.

Wizard process went well, however I often forget with Z mechanism I have. also remembering to hit save on each page before next was a challenge for me. from a UI pov if next could default change to save and next or something if changes are detected it would be nice.

Not liking the number pad that pops up on the set zero page.
It’s not a calculator. Hitting Enter after typing a number does nothing. Clicking OK doesn’t set the value, you still have to hit Enter after hitting OK to close the dialog.
And the focus isn’t in the number field when it opens.
It’s more of a hinderance than anything.

Let us know the specifics:

• beta version
  • machine type/size
  • screen grab showing the empty directory
  • selections made in the UI

and we will try to look into this with you.

Do you have the touch keyboard option selected in settings?

1 Like