Carbide Office Hours #12 - Send In Your CNC Questions

It is hereby declared that the first livestream of each month shall be a Q&A session. If you’re a new, experienced, or even just prospective CNC owner, feel free to submit questions here. We’ll answer as many as we can on Friday.

7 Likes

Is Carbide3D looking into a recommended solution to the disconnect issue that occurs between Carbide Motion and the Shapeoko controller, besides the standard response of using different outlets for the router and controller?

We have a 10 step plan which one can get from the support e-mail which works for most folks or see:

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Electronics#Recommendations

How do you change GRBL settings through Carbide Motion 5?

Hi,
Will the Z-Plus be available to purchase in store anytime soon? I already emailed Sales but had no reply.
Thanks
Mark

Even if they can’t solve the disconnect issue for everyone, it would be cool to see Carbide Motion monitoring the connection between them and at least having an idea of where it left off. Then have a way you back up in the code say 5% and start the job again.

The only folks I’m aware of the disconnect issue hasn’t been solved for are people using 3rd party spindles who gave up and replaced the electronics.

Reference dust collection

I use a 5 gallon shop vac and miniature cyclone dust collector. One of the primary concerns I paid attention to was noise level. Running the shop vac and router - no cutting - the decibel level is 69 db.
Something to keep in mind as we babysit these machines when they are running.

Optional info - the brand of shop vac I found is VacMaster. A plus was it came with a 15’ hose and a remote.

Bill

1 Like

Total newbie request, but could you go through a workflow that involves a bit change without the bitsetter. Im still bewildered by setting x and y with something like a 201 and then swapping to a 102 and it not having to reset x and y.

For that please see:

I’ll try to fit it in this Friday. And if not, every month we’ll have a Q&A and I’ll drop it in there.

Not sure if you’ve done something like this on a previous vid but it would be good to have a basic overview of the different endmill types and what the are best suited for. eg Upcut, downcut, O-flute, end, ball, 1 flute, 2 flute etc.

Also maybe talk about different techniques and bit types for different basic cuts (eg what bit and technique would you use for sign making, 3d relief smooth cuts, aluminium, foam etc).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.