Carbide Router life expectancy

Im wondering How many approximate hours is the life of the carbide router before dying out? Also if The job takes about 2 hours or more to complete, has anyone ever experienced their router over heating?

I can’t recall a report of a unit overheating on the support queue.

A couple of folks have found that they run hot when first installed (nut/collet too warm to touch) but that goes away after a few runs.

It’s much the same as a Makita, and shares the same collets, bearings, brushes, motor, alu. housing and nut as that unit, so one can replace parts as needed from sources such as:

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/makita-rt0701c-114-compact-router-parts-c-97_122_209465.html

and folks have gotten very long lifespans out of the brushes for example by keeping them clean with a cloth filter over the top of the unit, but we guarantee them for a year, and will keep you in brushes and a working unit while your warranty lasts.

1 Like

I routinely run mine for 4+ hour jobs, cutting hardwood at the most aggressive speeds I can manage, and have never had any issues with overheating.

I suppose it might overheat if you are in a very hot location and have the machine inside an enclosure, with no air movement, maybe? My workshop is about 95+ degrees in the summer and I have never had any issues with overheating - well, I tend to overheat before the CNC does.

1 Like

Excellent point. Enclosures which trap heat kill routers and vacuums.

Makita uses an NSK main bearing, which seems to be higher quality than any “clone” ive seen or used.

The C3D does run a little tighter and initially there is some heat buildup but it wears in after awhile like Will said.

Ive run a router for long hours in a tiny Nomad enclosure for hours on end and haven’t had problems. They are fan cooled so keep that in mind, more rpm = more airflow. If the heat builds up to where you can’t touch the collet nut, let it cool down.

1 Like

I really appreciate everyone’s input and sharing your experience and knowledge to a newbie like me and to the rest of my fellow newbies. This forum is awesome!!

1 Like

It would be hard to overheat a router because they have a fan constantly pulling air and coiling the router motor. The bits and collet can get quite warm during aggressive cuts but it is quickly cooled by the router constant flow of air. As others have noted enclosures the temperature can climb so if you have an enclosure have a fan pulling air out of the enclosure. Hot air rises so have the fan at the bottom and a vent on the opposite corner up high to exchange the air inside the enclosure. Just remember air takes the path of least resistance so have intake and output staggered to create an eddy current inside the enclosure.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.