Carving text at the bottom of deep pockets?

I saw this V-carving the bottom of a pocket - Software / Carbide Create - Carbide 3D Community Site, which is what i want to do - my question is a little different…

I want to make an insert for a kitchen drawer to store cutlery - carving out the pockets is easy, but I wanted to add some helpful text to the bottom of each pocket…

How do I carve at the bottom of pockets and not have the router try to crash straight through the pocket wall carved in the first file? how do I make the router “climb” out of one pocket before dropping into the next?

Set the material thickness on the text job as the full thickness. Then set the start depth to be the surface at the bottom of the pocket.

The retract height setting will raise the router that amount above the material surface.

So if the material is an inch thick and the pocket bottom is .5 deep then leave material thickness 1, start depth of .5 and retract of .25.

The router should raise .25 above the top of the material before going to the next pocket.

That may require separate tool paths for each bit of text rather than having them all in one. Not sure about that.

3 Likes

Please consider this, when you have a bunch of utensils in the insert it would likely be obscured. I can see your reason for labeling but will it be lost in the jumble. Perhaps you could make some small wood “labels” to glue in the sides of each insert or if the insert is made in pieces carve in the sides before assembly. Just a thought.

1 Like

It’s a fair comment - I have very few jobs under my belt and am still learning the capabilities of the machine and software, so the practicality of the drawer is only part of the story :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.