CC tutorial help needed

I’m just getting started and am having issues following the tutorials, specifically https://docs.carbide3d.com/tutorials/makey/.

when trying to select the 1st step I cannot get it to be like that shown
(https://docs.carbide3d.com/tutorials/makey/img/mm_select_center.png) is the tutorial pic

is the result I get manually or importing the tutorial .c2d file

Strange. The same thing happens for me when I follow through the steps in the tutorial. I even tried opening the finished .c2d file, and it does the same thing. I’m using CC Build 460.

@WillAdams Any idea what’s going on here?

Yep, re-confirmed here too if following exactly the steps in the tutorial (EDIT: using CC462 and importing the SVG)

Note1: this tutorial is ancient (not that this is any excuse). The pocket toolpath generation logic may have changed. @fenrus should know, but I thought CC used the odd/even logic to determine which areas needed to be left alone, and it’s not consistent between the top and bottom half of the circle:

Note2: The illustrations and text do not match here:

(while the snapshot shows only the “M” being unselected)

Note3: here’s a weird workaround I noticed while playing with it:

Initially select ALL features including the M and create the pocket:

Just before clicking “OK” to validate the toolpath, deselect the M, and voilà:

Note4: even weirder, once you have done Note3, if you delete the toolpath and re-create it the “normal” way (select everything then unselect the M then create the toolpath)…it works as expected.

1 Like

I’m on a Mac, which “shouldn’t” make any difference but I cannot in any manner get it to appear as you have. I always have some portion of the M or circle around the M being pocketed.

as an aside. what does the dotted line around the lower torso mean, does it denote something?

The dotted line just highlights the latest selected feature when doing a multi-selection
If you really want to cut that specific project, we can find a workaround (with a little copy/paste/boolean operations) that will work, let me fire up CC

1 Like

copy/paste the M and center circle and put them elsewhere:

delete the central M, do a boolean union of the remaining three pieces in the center:

Select everything but the M&circle copy:

Pocket will be correct:

Bring the copied M&circle back in the center:

And proceed

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.