CCreate/CMotion compatibility

I am new. I have a Shapeoko 3. I am trying to open a job in Carbide Motion 622 and it says it only can open a job from Create V7. But I am using 7!
It says 764 and is the most current download on the site. Any ideas?

Did you resave the file from v7?

Where is it saved?

What is it named?

Upload the file here and let us know what filepath you were trying to load from.

Yes it was saved out of the V7, I don’t have anything else. And resaved. named qpr.svg. The file was on my desktop and saved as an svg. I also created a brand new test file of some text in Create and that didn’t work either. HOw do I upload the file here?

An SVG won’t work to load into Carbide Motion.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. The svg was what I loaded into Create. The exported file is a c2d. Motion’s saying I need a c2d from Create V7 but it is.

Where is the file placed?

What is it named?

Please provide the complete filepath which you are trying to load from and upload the file here so that it can be checked.

I have CC757 and it has an option to save as a V6 file. if 764 has the same option, maybe you inadvertently saved it as a v 6 file?

1 Like

I have had files created in v7 CC and would give me an error when opening like yours. Usually just trying to open it again would work. Then the other night I open up a v6 older file in v7 and it crashed CC. I just reopened it and it worked by magic. If it is a v6 file originally it should open in v7 but you must save in v7 before you can do a lot with it.

No, that isn’t it. I actually tried to do that on purpose to see if it would run but it didn’t

This might just be semantics, but trying to help. You indicated “The exported file is a c2d.” but one does not export c2d files.These are created by Saving. Even if one opens an svg, Save or Save as (not Exporting an svg) from Carbide Create is the only way to create a c2d. Have you successfully opened any files in Motion or is this your first attempt?

When posting to this forum, there is a button at the top of the reply window that looks like a small rectangle with an arrow on top. If you click on it, it will allow you to browse, select a file, and open it. This will attach the file to your reply. Then multiple folks here will download it and troubleshoot. Cheers.

2 Likes

Hey Bozo I think you are on the right track because I kept messing around and at some point (hope I can replicate it) Create saved a file with a ,nc after the .c2d and that was the magic trick that let Motion open it. I got the machine to cut a few letters, Yay! on my way.

The .nc file is a text file of the GCode, but saving a separate .nc file is not necessary as long as you are using Motion to run the Shapeoko. Motion has the ability to load a c2d file direct ( the Gcode is embedded in the c2d file) and it is a more streamlined approach. It is possible that you are creating a V6 c2d, which will not load into Motion and an .nc file which will. You are on the right track and I think once you become more familiar with importing/exporting/saving file types, the V6 issue should go away. Saving as a V7 (the default) c2d file and forgetting about the .nc will simplify the process. Start simple and don’t be afraid to post photos of your results because small issues which may be invisible to you may be quickly recognized and resolved. The first thing I tried to cut was an inlay and I dont recommend that as a first project.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.