Cellular pvc trim for hybrid table?

Has anyone tried to use cellular pvc trim boards instead of mdf for the Shapeoko hybrid table slats? Never cut this stuff before and I’m wondering how it would
behave when surfaced. I do a lot of aluminum milling with coolant and I figured pvc would be more durable and much cheaper than HPDE

1 Like

Cellular core PVC has two surfaces that are pvc and a foam core. So some surfacing will work but you would soon get to the foam core. Perhaps solid pvc sheets would work better. PVC is a static generator and is pretty slick. Be sure to ground each piece if you use pvc.

Supposedly Home Depot carries sheets of pvc material. My local Home Depot does not carry it. Many make signs from the PVC sheets.

1 Like

Is the pvc foam core even solid enough to be a wasteboard surface? Sorry never cut this stuff before so no clue what it looks like on the inside. My local homedepot carries 1x4x8 boards that are very reasonably priced as compared to waterproof mdf so I’m seriously considering it

I echo @gdon_2003

You would get to the porous core after a short distance. But PVC cuts great with a single flute. A surfacer should also cut good at the lowest RPM and high feed rate.

1 Like

Good to know, but is the porous core strong enough to be a stable wasteboard surface or am I better off with MDF?

I switched my XL to PVC:

and it has worked well

2 Likes

PVC Board has a solid core not a foam core. I use it all the time for projects and should surface very well. Home Depot and Lowes sells it in 3/4 thick in various widths and lengths. Look it up at Home Depot and Lowes under Royal Building Products

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.