Changing computers issue with Carbide Motion

So I’ll start this off by saying that I am very new to the world of CNC, however I’m not at all new to the computer world. I’ve had my new Shapeoko 5 Pro for about 2.5 weeks now, and I decided the laptop I was using is not what I want to use anymore. I brought out a desktop running Windows 11 (Laptop was a 2015 Macbook Pro with a Windows 10 Bootcamp).

So basically the problem I’m having is that when trying to connect with the new desktop, I get a “No configuration found for the attached machine” message when trying to connect.

What happened between the two computers that one can drive it and one can’t? Does it have something to do with being on different versions of Windows? I’ve double checked that my laptop will still connect and it does. I’ve also uninstalled and reinstalled on the desktop multiple times, updated drivers, updated Windows 11…

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

You need to configure on each computer which you use to control a machine.

When I try to do the “Setup New Machine” steps I get to the connect to machine button, and then I get this pop up message… Not sure what to do from here.

When you plug in USB does it lock the motors? Does it make the windows USB “chime” sound?

1 Like

Yes it locks the motors and my computer does register the USB being plugged in

There is a basic page on troubleshooting connection issues at: Machine operating checklist

Things to check:

• power supply plugged in — it lights up after being plugged in and stays lit with a steady light?
  • power supply connected to machine and switched on — the in-line switch is small and easily missed (try toggling on/off a couple of times) SO4/Pro — machine power switch is switched on and lights up?
  • machine boots up, controller lights up with power, lights flicker on/off, motors lock?
  • machine connected to computer using USB — computer registers USB device? red/green/white lights on controller begin to blink signifying USB communication?
  • How is the USB connection being made? 6’ or less is recommended, and poor quality adapters cables are known to be problematic
  • Are there any conflicting devices in the USB Device Tree? Even a pair of Bluetooth speakers can conflict

Let us know what you find out at support@carbide3d.com

What red/green/white lights are you referring to? I’ve never noticed any lights blinking on our controller when I was running it with my laptop. Could you send a reference picture? I have a 5 Pro.

On a 5 Pro the lights are inside the enclosure and not visible.

Hi @Pigy2
I don’t use windows, I use a Rpi, However I do believe the controller is just a simple USB serial device, nothing special. The software just needs to discover and talk to the serial port. It then identifies that is connected to a C3D machine. CM only works with C3D machines. Sorry I do not know how a Macbook running Windows passes the USB hardware to the application layer. The fact that you get the beep when windows recognizes you plugging in a usb device is a good start. It then needs to identify it and bind a driver to it. Maybe someone else can say what that appears as in the windows device tree. With serial port devices an app or something can lock it and therefore the CM app cant acquire it Basically it is in use or CM cant lock it / bind to it. That is my best guess :slight_smile:

You say you are a computer guy, I highly recommend a Raspberry Pi. It keeps it simple, the pi works great in a dusty environment. it does not force auto updates or have other apps running in the middle of your project. It just does its job :slight_smile: But you may have other requirements.

Hope this helped a bit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I actually thought about getting a Raspberry Pi to run it off of, but now we decided that this desktop was to be an all around shop computer. When I say a shop computer I mean just for pulling up design ideas, using both the Carbide Create and Motion software, and anything else we need it for…

Back to the current issue though, when you say my laptop could be locking the CNC to only itself, how would I check for that? It’s not something I’ve heard of before as far as software programs go for this type of thing. I do get what you’re saying, I’m just not sure how it would be happening.

Could there be a Windows 11 security feature/setting preventing Carbide Motion from accessing the USB sub-system?

I don’t currently have any computers using Windows 11, but I know it was supposed to be a security-focused upgrade from Windows 10.

It has been a very very long time for me with dealing with serial drivers
When you plug in the USB, the USB subsystem should detect it. Beep
Then it tries to assign a driver to it. On a very rare occasion, on an other project It was picking the wrong driver. I doubt that is the issue here. I assume you can look in the windows device manager to see the driver it is loading.
Then the software tries to detect the port the machine is connected to.
And then the software tries to open / make a connection to the driver and in my day of programing I would ask for an exclusive connection meaning it would lock the device to that program. It could not be shared with other program or applications.
I don’t think it is locking to itself. However the Error says it could not get a connection and refers to another program might be using it. I don’t know your setup so I don’t know what it might be.

However this would be my next step:
First make sure you have a good cable and a good physical connection to the machine. Away from sources that might interfere with it. EMI
Does it work on a regular windows base machine, I believe you said it did.
Is the error different if the USB is not plugged in, If so this would indicate that it did see the USB serial device but might be being denied a call to open the port connection.
Then it is a matter of trying to simplify your setup. removing anything that could be interfering with allowing CM to establish a connection to the driver.
Or maybe it is simply a bad cable. IE CM did open the connections but it could not get clean data from the controller.
Or it simply not completely windows compatible.

Since I am more of a Rpi guy in this area, I am kinda guessing and might be way off. What I do know is you are using “Mac Bootcamp” and I although I don’t know much about it, I can assume that it is introduces a translation layer between platforms and possibly uses other drivers specific to the underlying platform.
And the fact that the error indicates there may be another program using the connection, which to me mean CM may be being denied a connection to the driver when it tries to open it.
Or maybe it does open the connection to the driver but fails to transfer intelligent data to the machine.

Maybe someone else has a similar setup that can offer better help.
Or can tell you what specifically triggers that popup message.
Sorry that about all I can suggest. Hope it helps.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.