Changing the feed rate while cutting

I want to know how the change the feed rate on the fly works in the new CM4
when you increase the rate in one tool and you load another tool is that increase moved tothe new tool as well.
Does it need to be reset from one start up to another
If you have to reset it how do you do that.
Jeff

The increase in feed rate applies to all movements, not just the current tool, and is persistent, while the application is running until changed.

Huh?

Have you even used the software?

You don’t use multiple tools on a single program (99.999% of the time), so the answer is self answered.

Rich are you answering the topic question or Will post.
if

Correct, per:

but for folks with Nomads and tool length sensors or who can depend on depth ring collars there may be multiple tools in a file.

Similarly, this feed rate override is persistent even after loading a second file.

3 Likes

OK maybe I am misunderstanding this. If I increase the feed rate when I am cutting something. When I’m finished and load another GCode file to cut a separate project or maybe something else with a different endmill on the same project, I expected that the feed rate would be reset to 100%. If this is not the case, how do you reset to ensure you have the correct feed rate; reconnect to the CNC?

You have to press the button to reduce speed as many times as you (effectively) pressed the button to increase it.

This sort of depends on the sender. With UGS I know for a fact this is not the case - when the next program starts it is always at “100%” not the adjusted rates.

Ok I did several tool changes using the probe, with in the same file yesterday.
and noticed a couple of things.
First was when I loaded a file on the load file screen the name of the file did not appear , then I clicked run button and on that screen it did appear
Is that the way it works.
The other thing is that on that run screen there is a speed over ride % sign it was a 100%… I had chanced the speed rate on the previous tool path by 3 clicks…So should have that percentage been reflected there. And if not what is that for.why not Jeff

At least in Carbide Motion 4, there is indeed a glitch that means it doesn’t update the file details when you load your next file. Load the file, then click on “INFO / LOAD” in the green menu bar at the top of the screen, and it will update the screen.

As for the “Override: 100%” displayed on the left side of the window, clicking the “FEEDRATE +10%” (or minus) does show the change there, at least for me. Three clicks of the +10% button, starting fresh, would show 130% there (with the upper limit being ten clicks for 200% feedrate).

1 Like

It resets to 100% when you start again. That’s the way it is. Because you start a new toolpath, which sets a new feedrate, keeping the offset you set up is likely “The Wrong Thing”

This is what I thought but @WillAdams said above that it was not the case, you need to manually reduce the feed rate or maybe there is a miscommunication.