Check my Epoxy Math

I am still waiting until tonight to sand down the mirror frame and the river table. This afternoon I moved the Jet 1221 VS lathe outside and cut the votive candle holder. It looks pretty good as is but I will wet sand it tonight. I sanded dry to 600 grit and used Yorkshire Grit Medium and Fine.

Depending on a lot of variables I will concentrate on the mirror frame to have that ready for Thanksgiving. The top needs more work and I will try to get it finished in time but it is a self imposed deadline and may slip. Fun Fun Fun

The cutting of the votive reminded me how much I hate cutting epoxy. The shards of epoxy go everywhere and make a mess of everything and sticks to everything from static. Yuck!!! The finished product looks good and I will press on.

1 Like

So my votive candle is finished. Looks good for my first attempt at epoxy and wood turning. Wet sanded to 1000 grit and used Yorkshire black and white sanding grit with a final coat of Johnsons Paste Wax.

That is an led votive candle so I wont burn the place down.

Need to put cork on bottom so it will not slide around

7 Likes

I got the MAS Table Top epoxy on some cracks sanded off the table top and the mirror frame. Started with 80, 120, 220, 320 grit. Cleaned it with mineral spirits. My Dewalt 5" random orbit sander is not too good at dust collection so I hooked up a Rockler adapter to the sander because I was tired of the fine mist of epoxy dust all over the table top. Worked pretty well.

Mirror Frame

The Butterfly on top of mirror frame.

The original epoxy was colored with a red/blue colorant. The holes in the top and mirror frame were filled with MAS Table Top Epoxy colored with Transtint Medium Brown. I like the contrast in the two colors and they look like the dark water in the small pools around a real river.

The river looks good.

8 Likes

Getting close to the finish line. This is the drawer front for the table. I found the Volume Knob at Hobby Lobby and vcarved “Crank It” and my grandson’s initials using the text on a curve tool.

With some acrylic paint and coat of shellac and polyurethane.

I got at least one coat of finish on the table and three coats on the table top and the mirror frame.

I got the legs drilled for the leveler screws. Going pretty well, now to just keep momentum.

Also got the drawer made and glued up. Will finish the machining on the drawer tomorrow after the glue sets up over night.

I have changed the way I make drawers. I used to make captured bottoms and that takes up 1/2" of space in the bottom. Now I rabbet out the bottom of the drawer by 1/2" and put a piece of plywood with screws in the bottom. This makes it easier to put the drawer liner in and then screw it on. Plus if it ever needs replacing you can unscrew the bottom and replace the lining. It also gives back 1/4". Now that might not seem like a lot but this drawer is only 2.5" deep. Along with rabbeting out the bottom I also have a router jig that I can put on the corner of the plywood to match the circle in the corner that the rabbeting bit leaves.

I like this project but frankly I am tired of it and want it delivered and out of the shop so I can move on to other projects.

Along with this table I made a picture frame for my sister.

Edit: Here is the finished frame and picture.

The picture for this frame came from my Aunt that passed away and her daughter gave me my sister’s graduation picture in her B&W cap and gown. Yea I know we are both old.

5 Likes

The table is almost finished. Just the drawer is not finished.

The mirror is finished. The mirror is laying on a table so you see my ceiling in the shop.

I recycled the original back and added turn buttons and an alum French cleat.

6 Likes

looks really cool… and made me wonder what it’d look like with a few leds mounted underneath to light up the epoxy river :wink:

Great job @gdon_2003 ! Are you sure this is your first big pour :wink:

I enjoyed this project but the big pours are not for me. I have 1.5 gal left and will use but the smaller infills are what I like better.

Here is finished projects and installed.

16 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.