Checkers Anyone?

I just got some mahagoney checkers cut. I am working on the oak ones. This is for a checker/chess board I have already made. I need to cut a mahagoney border for the outside of the board.

I have in the past turned a blank round and cut them off with a parting tool. However they are all end grain and look horrible. So I found a graphic and made it into an svg. I modified the svg to eliminate some of the extraneous parts and just left the king outline.

7 Likes

Got the second batch of oak cut. None of them are cleaned and are right off the machine. The mahagoney ones will be remade. I did not edit the svg for the crown until I saw the carve. The oak ones are good and just need to be sanded up.

Here is the side by side of the two checker pieces.

I have plenty of mahagoney to make another set. The oak set I did not have a board long enough so I edited the file and made 7 at a time. Likely to have to do that with the mahagoney ones.

I am really pleased with the outcome with the face grain on top. I have made several chess/checker boards and have just bought the checkers from Amazon in the past. They are not expensive but I did not have to wait for them. Plus they dont have mahagoney and oak ones.

I used a 15 degree vee bit for the crown and a 1/8" down cut end mill to cut them out. I had them down with painters tape and super glue to avoid having to sand off the tabs. Painters tape and super glue rule.

11 Likes

Got my border glued up. I used a new tool from Jessem. It is the Pocket Mill Pro and it cuts loose tenons similar to a Festool Domino. It is not a Domino but works quite well. I put two tenons per side and put one in each corner of the mitered corners. However during dry fit I realized the corners would not work due to the angles of putting it on. So I left out the corner tenons and just used the two 5MM tenons per side.

I am considering putting a vcarve on the sides of the board to dress it up a little.

I put painters tape on the edge of the checker board to keep the glue squeeze out from getting on the board. After clamping I used a wet sponge and water to clean up the squeeze out and removed the tape with the glue still wet. I always put too much glue on on purpose because I want a good bond. Starving a glue joint is bad mojo. After removing the painters tape I gave it one wipe with the sponge and all the corner miter joints.

The checker/chess board is mahagoney and oak and the border is mahagoney. I will be gluing on a cork bottom to keep it from scratching up the furniture. The checkers are in a cigar box and will go with the board. I made 4 extra checkers because people always lose some of them.

My last decision is about finishing. I think I will go with Watco Danish Oil Natural finish. That brings out the grain nicely and usually only takes 1-2 coats. To finish with wipe on poly urethane will take 3-4 coats over a 2-3 day period.

So what would the forum suggest I vcarve on the border. I have a crown on the checkers.

7 Likes

Not a damn thing! It looks great just as it is. Even Leonardo Da Vinci stood back and said, “Hey, its done.” :smiley:

4 Likes

So what would the forum suggest I vcarve on the border. I have a crown on the checkers
[/quote]

I would say nothing as well just like @CrookedWoodTex ! Looks great but if you had someone in mind to give it to maybe a personalization or if it is for you, you could stake your claim to a side with a name, logo, or something!

If you don’t put a groove around the edge, what’s going to catch the juices from whatever you’re cutting on it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Well you never know if a game of checkers will turn into a knife fight. Hopefully not but you never know now adays.

1 Like

The checker board is finished. I need to resand the checkers. I will use Watco Danish Oil Natural finish on the board and checkers. The checkers will just be imersed in a bowl of the Watco and then wiped off. The board will be done with a rag. When the Watco dries I have a 12" x 12" piece of thick cork I will use 3M 77 Adhesive to put the cork on the bottom of the board.

I will try to finish everything today and post one last picture.

I bought a 3d 2 sided chess file but dont have time to get them machined. I am on a time constraint and have a lot of other projects.

I also finished my mallet with Watco Danish oil this morning. Waiting to dry and likely a 2nd coat. The whole thing was cut on my Shapeoko. The handle has a Y shape at the top to keep the handle from coming out. I hate wedges and they always come loose. This mallet is handy in the shop. Anyone that wants the file let me know and I will post it. The two outside faces are madrone and the handle and inner pieces are red oak.

I drilled a hole in the base to put a leather shoe lace through to wrap around your wrist so you dont drop the mallet and a place to hang it up.

5 Likes

So here is my beauty shots. Watco applied to the board and a cork bottom is glued on. The checkers were also dipped int Watch and all looks good. I made spare checkers because people always lose them. I had a cigar box laying around and will put the checkers inside.

The checkers storage.

I masked off the border with painters tape and applied 3M 77 adhesive to the cork and the bottom of the board.

I had bought this cork some where but is only 12" x 12" and so rather than cut it up I just let the border show. Shame to cover up that beautiful mahagoney. Plus this will keep the board from sliding around on a table top and also not scratch the furniture.

8 Likes

It will also make the board easier to pick up.

Nice project!

(reminds me a bit of a folding chess board which I had ages ago, and gave away as a gift when I didn’t have anything else)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.