Choppy Cutting Steps since update

Hey all -

It’s been a minute since I last powered on my Shapeoko Pro, and was excited to see some new versions of Carbide Create and Carbide Motion, so I updated everything today. Might have been a mistake.

Now, when I cut, the path is awfully choppy. Almost as if there’s a quarter of a second of movement delay between every direction change. It’s never done this before.

For instance, I’m cutting some small round counterbores (5/8" wide pocket, 1/4" deep in soft plywood… with a 1/8" compression bit. The cutting path sounds like "chunk chunk chunk chunk chunk chunk… "
Here is a link to a video that shows the cutting:

It does end up cutting a round hole, in the end but it’s never done that stuttering before… paths were always smooth.

I’ve checked over everything mechanical, found nothing. Checked belt tensions, obstructions… happy with everything. I’ve gone through the new reinitialization steps multiple times, and over all the settings in CC and CM, restarted machine, computer, vfd… path is consistently choppy.

Have also noticed that the z axis will now sometimes not stop spinning and retract when the program is paused. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t.

Using CM 635 and CC 764. Shapeoko Pro with HDZ and VFD.

Appears to be related to the new software - but can’t tell if the problem lies with CM or CC.

Any ideas?

I’ve had a couple of instances of stuttering when using Carbide Motion on my Raspberry Pi when I left other applications open.

Please try powering down and rebooting the computer and only launching Carbide Motion on it.

1 Like

Had previously restarted multiple times, but for the sake of troubleshooting, I did it again, still no change.

Also tried again from cold power state on machine, computer and spindle.

Here’s another video that really emphasizes the path issue - same path, but turned off spindle so no cutting, just isolating the stepper jerks.

This is just a small circle pocket and the cutting head should be moving continuously and smoothly.

In addition, I can absolutely confirm that something is up with the pause function as well. I’ve done about a dozen tests now, and half the time the spindle properly pauses (x/y movement ceases, raises z axis and shuts off the spindle) and half the time it doesn’t (x/y movement ceases, but z doesn’t raise, and the spindle doesn’t shut off but continues to run)

I bring this up because I’m wondering if these symptoms are related?

An update: I’ve reverted (reinstalled) to Carbide Motion Build 579, and it’s back to working normally, cutting fast, smooth paths no more chopping.

Not sure what’s up with CM 635, but that seems to have been the problem. Would really like to use it but something is wrong.

I’ve noticed the same pauses recently using Gsender. It only happens on larger paths, and very sporadically. Without any investigation, I’m assuming it’s a buffering issue.

1 Like

Glad to find this post; I immediately noticed the same phenomenon since upgrading to CM 635. Every circle I cut in a contour or pocketing pathway, including cutting radius contours, results in this strange stuttering/jittering. My cuts come out clean but the jittering causes the whole machine to shake and even slightly moves my VERY heavy 60" x 60" workbench. I will likely downgrade back to the previous CM version soon and see if that solves my issues.

1 Like