Circular text in flowing circle

Currently im trying to write text in a circular motion.
Vinyl Record

Now i have done a clock style circular which starts with a ‘1’ etc etc
I have started with a 16" circle (random size)
Started a verse that would potentially be as long as the diameter. Then id like to proceed with the next ‘circle’ inside that one and so on.
However, that long verse, when i attept a circular, turns out more like spokes on a wheel, which i get. So, how do i attempt just curving the entire verse?
Getting technical, at the end of the verse id like to simply taper into the ‘second’ circle. Nice flow.

I know it can he done, but i need a little help here figuring this step out.

TIA

Carbide Create only does text in a circle or arc:

I believe that what you want is text on a spiral — you would need some 3rd party program for that:

1 Like

‘Arc’ enabled!!! Gotcha!

Ill work with this. More fun to work with then another darn program haha. I have to do some of the work :slight_smile:

Thanks fella!

Stay safe

If you’re inclined, this sort of thing can also be done programmatically — I’m pretty sure Dr. Donald Knuth had set one of Lewis Carroll’s poems thus using METAPOST — this also allows for one to more easily control font size, constantly reducing it, which makes for a very striking appearance.

1 Like

For spiral text in CC, you could create some semi (half) circles as a guide. In this case first circle is radius 7" on the right, then next circle is 6" radius on the left with the center point 1/2" lower. Continue the pattern to make a spiral, then use the circle centers to position the arc text.

4 Likes

I use the arc text a lot but always seem to struggle with getting it to stretch or contract or rotate in the way I want. Are there any secrets to making it behave?

Large text on a small (relative to text size) circle is difficult to line up. Sometimes it’s easier to make separate letters & place & rotate them manually. But in the case above, it’s a matter of adjusting the text size & spacing to get the look you want. As that spiral above gets smaller, the text will fan out more & may require some tweaking if you get close to the center.

2 Likes

Is there a way to define the arc diameter rather than pushing/pulling on that line?

I think I looked for that before but you will probably show a screen shot showing how obvious it is :joy:

No, there is no way to enter a dia/radius. But you can set the grid to any size, so set it to a factor of the size you want & use the grid points.
Or create circles the size you want, and use the nodes.

2 Likes

Hmmmm.
Interesting. I don’t usually think of redefining the grid mid design but I could give that a try.

Inkscape has a feature to do spiral text. It actually snaps the text to a design line which just happens to be a spiral feature they have. But would also snap text to any line you choose.
To get the font large enough for a 60Vee the entire swirl would get up to roughly 30" wide
This changes things a little.
Maybe a laser with smaller font is the way. Or another Vee bit.
Is this the right thought on getting better small text ?

Very cool… could have some neat possibilities

1 Like

I change the grid all the time to make things line up properly. The grid has no effect on the tool paths so you can change the grid a 100 times in a design session. Now sometimes I just have to turn off snap to grid to get things where I want them.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.