Clamps, Clamps and Clamps!

I have been using Incra Build-It clamps for a few years, but they are really designed for T-slot use, not threaded hole use. I actually threw away the threaded rod and large knurled nut that came with it, and I use socket head cap screws to keep the height as low as possible. I have the Ohio Diesel Parts threaded aluminum bed with 1/4-20 threaded holes at 1.5" hole spacing.

So I have had to get creative when clamping things for engraving where I am engraving right up to the edge of the item (specifically, 4" x4" marble tiles and 12" x 12" granite floor tiles). I had to angle the clamps so that only a corner of the clamp is actually on the part I am clamping, because if I put the entire clamp end on the part, it would protrude too far onto the part and interfere with the engraving or cutting. There is no adjustment like slotted clamps. You have to have a slot somewhere - whether on the clamp or on the machine bed. I had neither with the Incra camps.

I have made jigs for holding the 4" x 4" marble tiles, but the Incra clamps were just too big to use, so I designed and 3D printed some clamps, but they were too flexible. The tiles liked to move ever so slightly when the diamond bit was cutting. Nothing terrible, but just enough to be noticeable.

So, not too long before the Gator Tooth Clamp was announced, I found what I thought was the perfect source for inexpensive (and much smaller) 1/4-20 fastener sized clamps. ThorLabs. ThorLabs has just about everything for optics, optomechanics, lasers, etc. . .

And they have clamps in 1/4-20 and M6-1 sizes. So, I picked up ten each of the CL5A and ten each of the CL3 to see how they fare. They are definitely smaller than the Incra clamps, and they are both slotted, so I now have adjustment in my clamps for the first time! Here’s a pic of the three clamps next to each other.

One of the things that interested me in the CL3 is the ability to use a second screw to infinitely adjust the clamp height to clamp at any height. I can now clamp Items up to 3.75" high, and with longer SHCS I could probably squeeze that to 4.00"

Also, I wanted to see how these clamps compared to the Gator Tooth Clamp, and thanks to someone giving me the dimensions, I was able to approximately model the Gator Tooth Clamp and put it next to the models of the ThorLabs clamps.

So, now on to the last part - I think the Gator Tooth Clamp is an awesome clamp based on what I have seen of it (and I have not bought any yet) but from playing with the CL3 and the ability to clamp very tall things without needing an additional block to support the back of the clamp, I think that adding a threaded hole to the Gator Tooth Clamp for a fastener like the CL3 and putting the screw head channel on the other side of the clamp would make it the ultimate clamp.

By adding just 0.375" to the length of the Gator Tooth Clamp, (Making an Ultimate Gator Tooth Clamp! Muwahahaha!) you could add a 1/4-20 / M6-1 threaded hole to put in another SHCS to allow you to now clamp from 0" up to whatever fits under your Z-azis.

Moving the relief slot for the screw head to the opposite side allows more clearance under the Z-axis. On the current side, the “foot” or whatever you want to call it already protrudes higher than the screw head does, so it would provide no additional relief there.

That’s all I have for today. I hope some of this helps someone.

8 Likes

@MadHatter Thanks for the idea. I don’t use really thick material much, but I’ll hopefully remember this for when I do.

1 Like

@MadHatter this is awesome, I use a similar system with the slot and threaded hole (pictured below) - though these are pretty limited in their use and I’m also designing some new ones.

The only thing I’d add, is to consider adding another threaded hole on the ‘toe’ end of the clamp, this would allow you to use the angled threaded hole with a grub screw at any height, giving the ultimate in versatility.

New clamps are on my list of projects, just gotta get through the backlog!

I stopped clamping things down. I cut PVC sheet. I just screw into the MDF bed. Replace the bed every four months. Saves me a ton of time playing with clamps.

I printed out a couple of clamps to see how they would work out. They work great, and I can easily clamp 4" tall items with the 4-1/2" long 1/4-20 SHCS I have.

It works best when the support screw is 1/2" shorter than the clamping screw.

I must compliment the designers of the Gator Tooth Clamp - it is a very functional clamp.

Now I am going to cut a few of them from hardwood, then give them a go out of some 6061 aluminum.

5 Likes

Would you have a dxf file of these parts. I would like to try cutting them on my S3. I could try designing them in V Carve Pro but I’m no whiz at design.

1 Like

I can throw the 3D files (in a few different formats - STL, STEP, SLDPRT, 3DXML) on my up on my Google drive when I get home from work today. I haven’t put them on 2D yet, but if you have access to any 3D modeling program, you should be able to extract whatever dimensions you need.

If you want them in a different format than what I listed above, let me know. If SolidWorks can save it in that format, I will put it up as well.

niceee, another tip is to use those extended length nuts as opposed to a very long bolt.
I’m sure McMaster and tooling shops have them listed.

That way you can mix and match bolts to get varying lengths. Otherwise you’ll have quite the inventory of incremental bolt lengths. The extendo lengths can get pricey in comparison to couple smalls.

Like this? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Give this link a shot. It has the modified Gator Tooth clamp files in a bunch of 3D flavors as well as a couple of dimensioned 2D formats as well.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.