Cleaning Up Overlapping Text

Hi Guys (Yes - that includes ladies also.)

I was trying to prepare some text for a V-carve, and was having trouble getting rid of the overlapping sections. Evidently, when placing a text object, the letters come in as one complete vector, not separate, vectors (one letter each). Because this is so, you cannot get the Boolean function to work. You must have at least two vectors to create a Boolean. Also you cannot “Ungroup” a text object, again, because the word is one vector and not a series of letter vectors comprising the word. Additionally, I found I could not trim the lines either.

Here is a series of steps. I came up with to get the job done. Hope this helps someone.

First, zoom in real close so you can see what you are doing.

Select the line tool, then click exactly on the node where the lines of the letters cross each other.

Draw your line around the parts of the letter you want to get rid of. Again make sure you click exactly on the node where the letter lines intersect.

Finally, return to where you started.

You should now have a complete closed polygon vector. Hold down your shift, key and click on any nearby letter. You should now have two selected vectors. Noticed that the Boolean panel is now available on the left side.

Select the second button from the left inside the Boolean panel, the “Boolean Union” button. The section of lines that will disappear should be now highlighted in red.

Your letters should be now neatly blended together, ready for your V-carve. This method is a bit of a pain, because you have to do each instance of overlapping, but it seems to work very well.

If anyone knows an easier way to do this please let me know. Perhaps I’m not realizing something that I should. Thanks; take care.

Did you try the “convert to curves” option in the Text entry panel? I think that creates each letter as a separate vector.

Make a copy of it first and slide it off to the side because once you convert to curves you can no longer edit the text if changes are needed.

1 Like

I think ‘Boolean Weld’ will do what you want. Just make sure the text is curves, AND you only select the outside vectors (so not the center of the ‘e’).

Boolean Weld of outlines:

Why Boolean Weld instead of Boolean Union? Some fonts have self crossing curves, we discovered that Boolean Weld also fixes that problem.

The key is that the Text must be converted to Curves, and if grouped must be UNgrouped so you can select the right vectors.

1 Like

Alternately, use Trim Vectors — it’s manual, but it preserves the Curves as curves, rather than making everything into polylines.

Thank you! will try that.

Thank you!! I did not even notice that option in the Text tool. Much appreciated.

Why not Boolean Weld instead of Boolean Union? Because I’m a knot head. Thank you. You just saved many steps. It’s nice when you actually know how to use the software.

Thanks for the help guys. Your tips made things way easier. Just finished my 3rd project. Having fun!

2 Likes

Create an additional, temporary, throw-away shape. Select the text & the shape & Boolean weld. You don’t have to convert to curves.

2 Likes

Yes, but converting to curves will avoid converting to polylines (say if one wants to edit things later), and will make using Trim Vectors profitable/worthwhile.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.