CM v536 for macOS vs Windows 10

Hi,

Is there a difference between how the feed-hold system works on a macOS machine compared to a Windows 10 machine, please?

When a project is running from a macOs computer, pressing a physical button connected to the feed-hold pins on the main board stops the spindle and the router elevates up and away from the workpiece - this happens for both macOS and Windows machines.

Control of the XXL isn’t ‘returned’ to the macOS computer until the physical button is pressed a second time (I still don’t understand why this has to be pressed twice to give control back to the computer, though!) and the project can then be ‘resumed’ from the button on the computer screen.

However, it doesn’t seem to work the same way on the Windows computer. Pressing the physical button the second time doesn’t return control to the computer.

Also, the Travel Dimensions (TD) are different, too. X = 825mm, Y = 845 and Z = 95mm on the macOS computer, but 830, 850 and 90mm on Windows CM. Has this changed since I built the XXL?

Finally, if I were to change the User Interface units to inches, should the TDs change to imperial when I click Load Defaults in the Machine screen? It shows 825 inches!

Thanks

I think it’s “feed-hold” and not “free-hold”?

It would be odd for there to be any major differences between macoS and Windows version.

I think in CM you configure and send settings, but I’m not sure if CM reads anything from the machine to affect what it displays.

Connecting a new computer to a machine seems to mean you have to configure everything from scratch again. So the travel dimensions could have changed in different versions of CM, but since you sent them on one computer, it’s remembered them. But a fresh install on another computer is presenting you with different default numbers.

1 Like

Ah, so you were paying attention, then :rofl: Edited accordingly :+1:

I agree it would be odd, but I’ll check it out more thoroughly tomorrow. I kept screenshots of each page on the Mac, but will compare Windows values then.

Thank you.

Will Adams posted about making a maximum sized box. I had replied the following about that post. CM controls your soft limits. The soft limits control how far you can jog. However if the gcode sends the machine coordinates far beyond the physical limitations of particular model the machine tries to go there grinding away. Every version of CM lately has had either errors or changing targets for the soft limits.

In CM 536 these are the defaults you send with the configuration. Below the specs is how to modify to get just the little bit of extra room to go just up to the razor’s edge.

One thing to add and the box size should be determined by jogging to the extreme front left corner and setting X zero. Then jog to the extreme right and see your measurement and write it down. Then set Y zero and job to the extreme back right and write that number down. These are your maximum cutting box size. You could change your machine paramaters in the MDI interface to get slightly larger area but not much. The maximum amount of jog is set by configuration. If you jog to the back or front and power off the Shapeoko you can push the gantry further to the mechanical limit but setting that is dangerous because if you miscalculate the machine will hit its limit and lose zero by hitting the limit of the mechanics. You can come close but do not set the extreme maximum.

Will Adams posted these configuration settings a while back. These numbers are in MM.

To allow folks to confirm their Grbl configurations, here are the settings for:

Setting Belt Drive Z-axis Z-Plus (inc. Pro) HDZ
$100 40 40 40
$101 40 40 40
$102 40 200 320

The Travel Dimensions for the various machine sizes and options are:

Machine size and Z-axis type X Y Z
Shapeoko 3 Standard Belt Drive 420 430 100
Shapeoko 3 Standard Z-Plus 420 430 95
Shapeoko 3 Standard HDZ 420 430 140
Shapeoko XL Belt Drive 830 430 100
Shapeoko XL Z-Plus 830 430 95
Shapeoko XL HDZ 830 430 140
Shapeoko XXL Belt Drive 830 850 100
Shapeoko XXL Z-Plus 830 850 95
Shapeoko XXL HDZ 830 850 140
Shapeoko Pro XL 870 440 95
Shapeoko Pro XXL 870 850 95

You can go into the MDI interface and type “$$” and then go to the log and look at the specific settings for your machine. You can change the setting in the MDI by typing ( $130, $131, $132 – [X,Y,Z] Max travel, mm) /130=Number or /131=Number or /132=Number. Verify the settings by typing in the $$ again and check each 130, 131 and 132 setting. Then you can jog again to the front left corner and set zero and jog to the extreme right front corner and write that number. Then set Y Zero and jog to the extreme right back corner and record your setting. Then jog to extreme left rear corner. If you do not get a loss of zero by exceeding maximum mechanical limits you are good to go. If you do then decrease the numbers for the axis that is having problem. Just to caution this is dangerous in a way because the limits have been set for a reason. The X can be increased because in recent configuration settings c3d reduces the X for accommodate dust control that is wider than your Z carriage like with a Suckit and other dust shoes.

When you send the configuration from CM the parameters will be set back to default.

2 Likes

Thanks, Guy. That’s a really helpful explanation :+1:

I’ll need to check, but it seems the figures for the XXL Z-Plus are what I’ve have now and, to be honest, is probably where I’ll keep them. Although it’s clear these can be ‘tweaked’, my fear factor :scream: of damaging anything is too high to stray from the ‘norm’ - for now, at least!

Thanks again :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.