CNC Wish List for 4th Axis

Great work! Very nice!

I have the same wish as you!
I would love a 4th working axis for the S5. To me that would be the ultimate machine. Although, im beyond happy with the S5 already!

I second the vote for 4 axis! (Please)

2 Likes

Why does everything have to be for the S5? What about other machines, we seem to be left out in the cold in conversations lately. As in the Brady Family… S5, S5, S5, that is all we here anymore. :smiling_face_with_tear:

SPROXXL Owner

5 Likes

I second the vote for all machines to see a 4th axis :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just going to leave this here…

7 Likes

Amazing.
I feel im not advanced enough to set this up?
Difficult?
( i have an S5 shhhh)

1 Like

Well I don’t know your skill level, and I’m the first to admit that my Shapeoko has evolved into this very unique setup. I use Carbide Motion to run the XY and Z part of my machine and UGS (Universal GCode Sender) to control the A/B axis.

This is mainly due to Fusion 360’s lack of 4th Axis (continuous or simultaneous) machining support (even for a license owner like I am). So now for the last 2-3 years, I use the 4th as an index (Machine, rotate some known degree) and continue to machine. It does take some meticulous bookkeeping to NOT MISS a rotation before hitting that go button.

PS This setup could be added to any machine, and I would love to upgrade and modify the HDM, but I am severely space limited in my shed (I mean shop). To be completely honest there is nothing I can’t make on my S3 that would require the HDM…except speed…it just takes me a little longer…and being retired…I do have the time.

Here it is cutting some gears:

Link: Richard on Instagram: "Perhaps another #shapeoko first. Making Gears."

10 Likes

Very nice. I was also looking into 4th axis recently. that would be very cool. surely it is doable. perhaps a rig that fits into one of the slats areas? Hope something is in the works.

1 Like

I too have made a permanent rotary axis, not that dissimilar to the picture earlier in this thread - 4-jaw chuck, 4" throw, live-centre tailstock, and replaced the controller unit for a grblHAL update to get XYYZA permanent axes, homing on all, and self-alignment on the dual Y axes.

It’s not for everyone, and I have been watching this market to see if any ‘off the shelf’ rotary kits appear - and one has. Sienci Labs have just started shipping their Vortex add-on to their Long Mill product, but it looks entirely like it might work with a ShapeOKO too. Their sender app, gSender, has been enhanced to cope with this and all together it looks like a very nice package.

5 Likes

I will look at the one you mentioned…
Genmitsu 4th Axis Rotary Module Kit for 4040-PRO CNC Router – SainSmart.com is another one that I’ve been wondering about hooking up

1 Like

This is supported now in several ways;

• Wrapping (like Vectric’s approach) on 2D tool paths, not effective for 3D shapes and cannot cut beyond the conceptual ‘centre-line’ of the unwrapped shape, just as-per VCarve’s limitation
  • Tool Orientation (an indexing approach, but CAM controlled and is coded into gcode on output)
  • With the Machining Extension live 4- and 5-axis simultaneous machining (licence is $2k/yr approx)

The best answer is the machining extension, but it is too rich for me to justify on a hobby budget… I coerce Wrapping and Tool Orientation to get something close to what I want, and if that fails, export a STL and use VCarve Pro’s wrapping feature which does work (with a few limitations)

1 Like

For just your name and/or Logo why not a Laser… Alot less expensive of a way I believe… Even my $500 Unit can support a 4th axis and you could use it for a lot of other things.

2 Likes

I believe the Sainsmart 4040 rotary uses a closed loop stepper, and is driven with step/dir/enable and not via a stepper driver, although I’m not able to confirm that.

Sainsmart is into closed loop steppers these days, their ballscrew 4030XL version 2 has them

You may want to check out the vortex rotary axis from Sienci labs. They are going to publish user friendly wiring diagrams for other machines.

1 Like

You beat to the laser answer … but I still want a 4th axis AND ATC.

I have a 4th axis on my NW SD-100 & DWC 2440, now Scienica(sp?) is producing one? Along with how many other machine manufacturers have them?

Carbide… are you listening to your client base?

Don’t get me wrong, I love my two S3XXL & Carbide. Quality every which way … either you keep improving or …

As a user not otherwise affiliated with Carbide 3D here is my take.

While I think a 4th Axis is something Carbide can & (IMO) should do, I’d say the ATC is probably something they (Carbide) will steer clear of. ATC is a must on an industrial machine, but adds complexity & cost that doesn’t make as much sense for a “hobbyist” machine. I realize some folks are using these machines in a “Production” environment, but they are still not industrial machines. As a user of a large industrial CNC (with ATC) I a) understand how useful it is b) understand the extra complexity (and issues lining them up).

ATC adds cost to the spindle, tool cones (will vary by # of tool positions in your ATC), space (either reducing the usable area or requiring longer travel to access the tool magazine, which adds cost to the machine), alignment issues (both on initial setup and later on if your spindle is removed/replaced and/or something changes on your tool magazine). Imagine the support headaches for Carbide as well.

The biggest drawback for Carbide adding a 4th-Axis kit is the Grbl controller (for true XYYZA control). While there are options, this too would potentially add to some support headaches Carbide (but nothing like what I expect ATC would).

1 Like

Everyone wants an ATC until they start to calculate how much it will cost.

One reasonably affordable alternative is:

Will, thank you for the link. I will be looking further into them as I start working on my FrankenCNC dream machine.

Mike, I can’t disagree with anything you’ve mentioned above on a 4th axis or ATC, except for the fact that if Carbide’s competitors keep upping their machines, to stay relevant, Carbide will either have to add them or become “they were great back in the day”.

Are these two options for the beginner? Absolutely not. But thru education, quality parts/machinery, and the desire to make it work, the customer base will adapt & overcome. Granted, there will be frustration & cost upfront, but that will eventually ease up.

Who actually thought 60 some odd years ago that there would be affordable computers, CNC, wireless, etc available in desk size form for pretty much anyone who wanted it.

I would prefer Carbide becomes the leaders that bring these to market for us.

2 Likes

I want a 4th axis more then anything but id give that up for the continued assistance from the Carbid staff.
That is worth a lot to me. But if they ever make one id be very happy.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.