CNCJS CNC Control Software

Probe depth = how far you want the Z to move down before it throws an error. (So you don’t drive through the wasteboard or lose steps on a probe failure)
Probe Feedrate = the probe feedrate
Touch Plate thickness = Thickness of probe block. I think 25 for C3D or 22 if upside down.
Retraction Distance = Distance the Z retracts after a successful probe.

6 Likes

So I think I have read just about every post in this thread…and shockingly, still have a question. @neilferreri, can I use your diameter independent C3D macro to probe for a v-bit or a tapered ball nose? I know in Carbide Motion it makes you pick a bit from their collection and they are all straight end mills. Thanks for your help and looking forward to learning CNCjs and using your macros.

Not really, because the dimension of the mill end changes. Whilst it’s technically possible it is dangerous, a V bit could extend past the depth of the probe.

You can still probe Z, but there are allot of variables for a V bit which makes it unsuitable for X/Y probing.

1 Like

Folks, I feel a tad overwhelmed. I just finished assembly of my XXL (first foray into CNC)…I’ve also upgraded to the Beaver HDZ and Zero 3 probe with many thanks to @Luke. As another poster above said, I feel like CNCIdiot#1 ha. Anyhow… here’s what isn’t connecting for me. Let’s say I create a logo in Illustrator that I want to make a sign. Knowing I use CNCjs with a Mac laptop directly connected…seems like a dumb thing to ask… but what the heck are my steps - ie. process??? (I do have 2 dummy books on their way from Amazon).

I assume: 1) Save as svg, next can I use Carbide Create, or should I use Fusion 360? Can anyone help a dumbfounded old guy? LOL. Thanks.

As a followup (the logo I want to cut out is somewhat “grunge”)… so can I get that effect, or would it be better to have very clean lines. Thanks guys… I am very excited to begin this new adventure.

My logo

PS: I did just discover the Create a Two-Tone sign tutorial, so I plan to do that… though I’m sure it doesn’t cover CNCjs, HDZ or Zero3.

You’ll want an SVG version of that logo if you wish to use it with Carbide Create, or you’ll need to use some 3rd party tool such as PixelCNC which supports pixel images.

1 Like

If I were in your shoes, I’d start on this page: Carbide Create Video Tutorial Series to get the skills downpat with Carbide Create (CC). Fusion 360 is awesome but my suggestion would be to get comfortable with the process of creating a design, setting up your material, then cutting it before moving to other software like fusion.

The tutorials videos will have more detail around achieving what you want, but the basic process for me is as follows (this isn’t a CC tutorial, just a workflow guide)

• Select appropriate material for what you want to make. Measure Length, Width and Thickness.
  • Set these dimensions in CC, and design your job. CC allows import of SVGs (Bit of good info on this here), but for your first few jobs I’d suggest just doing a sign using the text tool in CC.
  • Create your toolpaths in CC to match the endmills you’ve got - double triple check all your zero points and tooling, safe Z heights… getting these wrong catches pretty much everyone out at some stage. if you plan to use your Z probe ensure your Z is set to the top of the material, not the bottom.
  • clamp or screw your material down to your wasteboard, square and flat
  • when your toolpaths are created in CC, save them as Gcode (usually a .nc file)
  • open CNCjs, home your machine, then set the X & Y zero as the same place you did in CC (e.g center of material, bottom left… neither is better, just ensure you match what you selected in CC)
  • to set the Z zero, use the macro that Mr Beaver supplied with the Probe, or for your first few you can put a piece of paper between your endmill and the material and lower your Z axis in 0.1mm increments until the paper cannot slide between the two. (I use this process on almost all timber jobs I do)
  • in CNCJS, open your file, and jog the machine around with the viewpoint from the top, and check that the toolpaths don’t hit any screws or clamps, and are within your material area
  • if it looks good, load the correct endmill, start your router and press start in CNCjs. If it’s the first time I’ve run a Gcode/job then I keep my hand close to the power switch / E-stop for the first minute or so, just until I know nothing is amiss.

also check out https://docs.carbide3d.com/ for heaps of useful info.
and searching the forum or searching google returns a huge amount of results… for example anything like ‘workholding’ or ‘clamps’ or ‘Carbide Create SVG import’ all bring up heaps of info.

hope this has helped, it’s not really specific to the HDZ or Zero3 probe, or cncjs, just a bit of a process to follow… I figure just ask about specific bits that don’t make sense and people will explain

6 Likes

Any issues with the “grunge” style type?

WOW!!! Thank you thank you!!! Will dig in…much appreciated kind sir!

The machine will cut what it’s provided — might want to see if a texture toolpath at the bottom helps out:

1 Like

Any time! I have received more help on here in the past than I could ever hope to return…

As will said, a texture toolpath would be a good option, or if your SVG gives you small wiggly shapes inside the text as the ‘grunge’ bit, I would try just selecting those wiggly bits and using a V-bit with the V-carve toolpath. Both options would give a different effect… pick the one you like or try another way!

1 Like

@Luke, thanks. That was my thinking but still wanted to get some confirmation from someone CNC-smarter than me.

@mrnevitt The problem is simply the asymmetrical nature of the endmills as @Luke said. That’s the same problem with any end mill, though. Any endmill that is symmetrical would work as well as a straight end mill.
In general, I wouldn’t recommend probing with an endmill for X and Y for anything where a very high level of accuracy is needed.

Guys, I am trying to use the Zero Probe 2 with Hole for the first time. I must have done something wrong as I can no longer raise Z manually so that I can remove the Z Probe…it keeps throwing as “Alarm 2: Soft Limit” error…not sure what I did, and not sure how to undo whatever I did.

EDIT: I was able to finagle the Probe from under the endmill… but I cannot move in ANY direction anymore due to the soft limit error.

SO3 doesn’t like soft limits. In console disable soft limits, $20=0. I think :thinking:.

1 Like

@Griff Yep, I did that… I was able to get things to move, but something is definitely going on with my Z-Axis…it’s like it’s getting “stuck” at a certain point. I took a video of it that I need to upload to YouTube so I can have you guys and @Luke look at it. Here’s the video… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX6bX2tGICA&feature=youtu.be

$102 setting? Should be around 320 for an HDZ

I’m at 320.611 for my home built Beaver HDZ.

Hi Chip, I’ve 2 thoughts.

Can you confirm if you jog it by hand by rotating the coupling it will move past this point (with power off)

@Luke I cannot hand jog, no… it’s “stuck”.

yep, $102 is currently set to 320. I was able to get movement on the X and Y by disabling soft limits…negative Z works… just cannot do positive Z past a certain point. This started after I tried to probe for the first time.

So to confirm when the machine is off you cannot hand jog it past this point?

Assuming thats correct I think the carriage is hitting the rear M8 rear screws that feed in from the rear? There should be 2 x M8 washers (one per Screw) next to the screw head. before the roller bearings and spacers. If you don’t have these fitted the M8 screws will protrude past the front of the rear plate and block the axis from moving.

From the instructions:

X Pulleys and Supports

2 x M8 Bolt

2 x M8 Washer

Existing M8 Spacers & bearings from old carriage.

Remove the two M8 bolts and nuts from your existing Z/X carriage these hold the X belt spacers and bearings. Fit the spacers and bearings that came from your old Z/X to the included 30mm M8 bolts keeping the provided washers at the head of the bolts. Screw into the new Z from the rear.

Fitted correctly your mounts should look like the below.

Note the Screw head/Washer/Bearing/Bearing/Spacer combination.

2 Likes