CNCJS CNC Control Software

very cool @Hooby, I think mine is on par with your setup as well.
Only difference being I shut mine down after every session.

I’m hoping it’s some dumb obvious thing, but I have yet to figure it out.

you are shutting down properly? - not just turning it off which can leave some SD memory corruption on occasion so I am told - but never yet experienced.

I have been, but it did experience one shutdown improperly (my mistake) much earlier.
Also have a pi4 w/ 2gb on order with a fresh card and may try to swap it out.

I hope you guys figure it out because I’m thinking of ordering a Pi4 for the Shapeoko and the 3D printer.

just do it! Unless you need the Pi4 for other things IMHO it is unnecessarily overpowered to run CNCjs. I would be a little concerned that the Pi4 runs hotter - with sawdust around.

1 Like

Well, I don’t want to buy something that may be underpowered in a couple of years, this is why I would go with the P4. I’m planning on using it to run the 3D printer, hopefully at the same time so it would require more cycles. I understand that it is an overkill for just the current version of CNCjs or Octoprint in the short term but having to change and reconfigure that computer is more of a pain for the $25 or so I will be saving by buying a Pi3.

1 Like

I’m using the v1 engineering image which has both octoprint and cncjs servers pre-installed. (I stop octoprint so only cncjs is running).

Using the stock usb cable and the official pi3b case; no heatsinks installed, so it does get warm, and using an anker 2 outlet power supply and a cheapie cable for power.

I have a shorter, shielded cable on the way, and will grab heatsinks and a dedicated power supply/better cable next time i pass by microcenter.

veering slightly OT, but anyone else that was considering grabbing a pi4 at the moment- be sure grab an official power supply:

2 Likes

Thanks I was considering a starter kit that includes most components including the power supply enclosure, keyboard, etc. The power requirements for the pi4 are slightly higher than previous versions but I have not yet pulled the trigger. I read that Octoprint was currently not working with pi4. At the moment my old Macbook does the job so I’m not rushing.

Quick update:

• I replaced the stock 6 foot usb cable w/ a 3 foot one (triplite gold, w/ ferrite)
  • i replaced my 2.4A dual port anker + garbgage micro usb power cable that probably came packed in with a vape battery with the official Raspberry Pi 2.5A powersupply.
  • I added some cheapie heatsinks and
  • i physically moved it to the backside of the table instead of the front of the table

it was getting late, and i didnt want to ruin a piece of stock in the event the test failed, so i ran the router sans tool and loaded a job that cncjs had previously hung up midway through on.

it worked!

Obviously I need to test some more in real world conditions (actually cutting, with vac running) but i am encouraged that i may be heading down the right path.

Also, they were sold out of Pi4s, so I ordered one online.

I did google just enough linux to break things, and if i interpreted “top” correctly, folks are correct that the 3B+ has more than enough resources to drive this stuff and the additional oomph of the 4 isn’t really necessary.

but still. we’ll give it the ole college try when it shows up because why not.

Alright, my local part store had the 1 gig of ram version of the Pi 4B instock, so I grabbed one after work. To make things interesting, instead of using a pre-built image, I wanted to see how tricky it would be for laymen to get the pi setup with the latest OS, and cncjs/node and all their dependencies up and running… thanks to Austin;='s super solid documentation, it was actually not hard at all. (I also skipped n00bs and the desktop and just used the latest buster-lite raspian iso).

long story short- it seems to work! and was not hard to install at all.

7 Likes

@neilferreri - I just really started playing with CNCjs and your macros. I like it a lot!! But I do have one question - is there a way in the C3D Probe macro to do Z only? I know with the bit setter (which I have) there really isn’t much need to do Z, but sometimes I like to probe Z where the next operation is just in case the wood isn’t perfectly flat

@ctdodge
(Assuming you are placing the whole block on top of the wood and not with the lip overhanging, and referring to macro https://github.com/cncjs/CNCjs-Macros/blob/master/C3D_3axis_probe …)

If you duplicate the macro, and then change line:
%PROBE_BLOCK_Z = 22
to:
%PROBE_BLOCK_Z = 25
(due to the additional height of the probe lip)

And then delete all of the lines AFTER the line:
G0 Z3 ;lift Z 3mm

You should have a nice lil’ Z-probe Macro and should be good to go!

–Kyle

@ctdodge
CNCjs has a built in Z probe “widget”. It just does a single probe, though.
I have a precision Z probe macro somewhere. I’ll throw it up on the repo when get to a PC.

Edit:
Anyone know why this thread got locked?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.