CNCJS CNC Control Software

WOW!!! Thank you thank you!!! Will dig in…much appreciated kind sir!

The machine will cut what it’s provided — might want to see if a texture toolpath at the bottom helps out:

1 Like

Any time! I have received more help on here in the past than I could ever hope to return…

As will said, a texture toolpath would be a good option, or if your SVG gives you small wiggly shapes inside the text as the ‘grunge’ bit, I would try just selecting those wiggly bits and using a V-bit with the V-carve toolpath. Both options would give a different effect… pick the one you like or try another way!

1 Like

@Luke, thanks. That was my thinking but still wanted to get some confirmation from someone CNC-smarter than me.

@mrnevitt The problem is simply the asymmetrical nature of the endmills as @Luke said. That’s the same problem with any end mill, though. Any endmill that is symmetrical would work as well as a straight end mill.
In general, I wouldn’t recommend probing with an endmill for X and Y for anything where a very high level of accuracy is needed.

Guys, I am trying to use the Zero Probe 2 with Hole for the first time. I must have done something wrong as I can no longer raise Z manually so that I can remove the Z Probe…it keeps throwing as “Alarm 2: Soft Limit” error…not sure what I did, and not sure how to undo whatever I did.

EDIT: I was able to finagle the Probe from under the endmill… but I cannot move in ANY direction anymore due to the soft limit error.

SO3 doesn’t like soft limits. In console disable soft limits, $20=0. I think :thinking:.

1 Like

@Griff Yep, I did that… I was able to get things to move, but something is definitely going on with my Z-Axis…it’s like it’s getting “stuck” at a certain point. I took a video of it that I need to upload to YouTube so I can have you guys and @Luke look at it. Here’s the video… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX6bX2tGICA&feature=youtu.be

$102 setting? Should be around 320 for an HDZ

I’m at 320.611 for my home built Beaver HDZ.

Hi Chip, I’ve 2 thoughts.

Can you confirm if you jog it by hand by rotating the coupling it will move past this point (with power off)

@Luke I cannot hand jog, no… it’s “stuck”.

yep, $102 is currently set to 320. I was able to get movement on the X and Y by disabling soft limits…negative Z works… just cannot do positive Z past a certain point. This started after I tried to probe for the first time.

So to confirm when the machine is off you cannot hand jog it past this point?

Assuming thats correct I think the carriage is hitting the rear M8 rear screws that feed in from the rear? There should be 2 x M8 washers (one per Screw) next to the screw head. before the roller bearings and spacers. If you don’t have these fitted the M8 screws will protrude past the front of the rear plate and block the axis from moving.

From the instructions:

X Pulleys and Supports

2 x M8 Bolt

2 x M8 Washer

Existing M8 Spacers & bearings from old carriage.

Remove the two M8 bolts and nuts from your existing Z/X carriage these hold the X belt spacers and bearings. Fit the spacers and bearings that came from your old Z/X to the included 30mm M8 bolts keeping the provided washers at the head of the bolts. Screw into the new Z from the rear.

Fitted correctly your mounts should look like the below.

Note the Screw head/Washer/Bearing/Bearing/Spacer combination.

2 Likes

@Luke YOU ARE A FRICKIN’ GENIUS! That was it… I forgot the washers. wow… I feel really dumb, but that’s ok. Thank you for your amazing patience.

2 Likes

I am also having issues with cncjs looking great until it just decides to hang in place.

i wonder if switching to one of the new Pi4 boards would help give it that little extra juice it needs?

1 Like

i’ve dealt with this as well recently. no idea the underlying issue - aside cncjs on the pi. even the latest version loaded on 3b+

swapping to a windows laptop with cncjs and no longer any trouble

Hmm I have been running CNCjs on a pi 3b+ For a while with no problems. It is certainly powerful enough.

I guess the question is what O/S and CNCjs versions are everyone running and how are their pi configured. Maybe a newer software version created an issue.

1 Like

yeah, i’ll have to look back and see. my setup was working totally fine, but then started to hang up while trying to jog around. resolved only when restarted my nomad and the pi - assuming its a buffer/usb connection issue if i had to guess.

I try to keep my pi 3b+ up to date. I only use it for controlling my Shapeoko 3 so nothing else installed. As yet no issues whatsoever with CNCjs. It has been running 24/7 with no reboots for about 3 weeks continuous now.

Currently running
CNCjs 1.9.20
node 10.16.0 (some old install instructions recommend much earlier versions which are not relevant now AFAIK)
on
Raspbian 9 (stretch)