Coding Vee bits in Fusion 360

Is there a best practice for defining Vee bits in Fusion 360? It looks like I can define a Vee bit as either a tapered mill or a chamfer mill. Is one way better than the other or does it not matter?

John

How are you planning on using it?

Well, I guess I would answer I don’t know :slight_smile:

I was figuring on adding in my tooling set into the tool library, so I would have them available as I developed projects. I likely would not be doing a straight V-carve (I would likely use Carbide Create or Vectric Vcarve Desktop for that)
Does Fusion handle “tool_type” chamfer mill and tapered mill differently?
The parameter list appears slightly different for each, but is there a functional difference?

I tried adding in a 301 both ways on these are the differences when I exported the tools to a csv file.
chamfer mill
tool_diameter is defined as max diameter of cutters
tool_cornerRadius is blank
tool_taperedType is blank
tool_tipDiameter is 0

tapered mill
tool_diameter is defined as close to zero as possible (0.001) to get the point (i.e. defined at the point)
tool_cornerRadius is set to 0
tool_taperedType is defined as tapered_bull_nose
tool_tipDiameter is blank

If these are functionally equivalent, I would probably go with the chamfer definition since it would be easier to add into the spreadsheet to import.

John

Yes.
Some toolpaths are tied to limited types of endmills. You can always add the same endmill to both categories, but I’d wait until you have a use for it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.