COLLET SIZE for VFD

Can I use an ER 20 collect in the new VFD? I want to be able to use a 1/2" fly cutter to surface.

The VFD which we have in our shop as an add-on:

as noted on the shop page:

Uses ER-11 collets

and the maximum size for them is 8mm (but we only include 1/4" and 1/8" — you’ll need to source your own collet in that size, and if desired a matching nut).

The HDM has an 80mm spindle (the afore-mentioned is 65mm) which uses ER-20 collets which would allow half-inch tooling — we have an 80mm mount and matching spindle in development for the SO5 Pro, but no idea on specifics beyond the diameter — check with sales.

I will note that 8mm tooling is quite a bit more rigid than 1/4", and is a promising possibility which has not yet been fully explored in terms of material removal rates — I will note that I have seen improvements in surface finish when using such tooling.

1 Like

Might also be worth noting that, at Shapeoko spindle RPMs the tooling needs to be balanced and rated for high RPM. A single bladed fly cutter from a mill might provide more excitement than surfacing.

2 Likes

Yeah. I can attest to that.
I ordered the SST dragknife a week or so ago. They sent me the wrong shank size and had to send a new one. Weirdly they have the same part number and you can’t tel one from the other from the outside of the box.

Anyway I got the correct one tonight and in my zeal to test it I forgot to hit the interlock on the BitRunner to disable the router.

It spun up and before i could shut it down it damaged the shaft.

At least it didn’t fly off and take me out. I have reached out to see what that’s gonna cost me.

Hopefully it didn’t actually damage the router in any way but I was too depressed to check tonight.

1 Like

Ouch, on the bright side though, it stayed assembled and didn’t throw any parts at you.

Yep. Stupid me.
I always hit the BitRunner disable after each job except when I don’t. If the speed setting reminder had popped up before the spin up that may have saved me as I would have noticed that I set the speed in the job at 1000.

Oh well. My biggest complaint is that it’s going to set me back another week or so on my testing with coroplast.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.