Community challenge #1: bits & collets holder (closed)

I love the diversity of ideas in those projects, I’m sure many will be inspired to make their own version.
4 days left !

2 Likes

At the time of writing this, we have a tie ! The final 36hours will be interesting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, jeezit. Here I am the newbie in the room, too. Here goes a few days work.

I wasn’t even going to post an entry until my dear bride says, “Honey, take the under desk drawer off of this desk.” She needed to push more junk under there. :smiley: So, I was half way to the out building to store it when it hit me … put this drawer under the CNC table! So that’s where I put my bit holder. Thanks to my darlin’ bride, I have a chance to break the tie! :smiley:

So, since this is the only entry that sits under the table and doesn’t interfere with the top surface and cutting of the product, that makes it unique in a way. I don’t need something else getting in the toolpaths, which makes my design safer, too.

I decided that I was too new at this to have many tools to put away, so I went for more open pocket storage rather than use all of those tiny square holes. I used a 1" surfacing tool to clear the pockets. Boy does that save time! The bit holes are there, too, just in case I get any more. :smiley: I learned to adjust the rates to get that 1/8 bit to cut holes without losing steps.

My grandson saw it and said, “Wow!” I win! :smiley:

BitholderGcode.zip (355.7 KB)

10 Likes

Hmmmm, time to upgrade the “holders” I made 3 years ago.

Or not, they work pretty good and stow away neatly. Sorry, can’t find the file, just draw a box in a box and extrude. Find some 8/4 5x5 scrap red oak pieces and start cutting.

6 Likes

Ill be posting mine up tonight if the cut goes well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I will update the rest of the info needed later but I wanted to get in!

12 Likes

open

1 Like

Wow @SCCNC that is incredible - you’ve got my vote!

so awesome to see so many new members getting into it! Even today a heap of members have joined and voted which only builds the community, hopefully next round they can enter :smiley:

@Jorge @Julien Please keep pushing this, its such a good thing :star_struck: :star_struck:

3 Likes

Thanks! If I would have read the rules better I wills have posted earlier. I thought the Admins we’re voting not the members with likes I didn’t really give myself much time lol. Oh well it’s all for fun. Appreciate the kind words

Thanks to @PaulAlfaro for the heads up.

I had this idea a while ago after passing by a HAAS CNC with a carousel type tool changer. I thought it
would be a fun way to incorporate a ER collet holder. Everything was machined on the nomad, designed in Fusion.

The rotating ER collet are basically 2 machined parts, with a bearing that is pressed fit inside, spinning over a dowel, it spun way to fast, so I added a delrin puck with a varying surface heights to give it some a decent braking feature while maintaining the fun spin factor. I then decided to reuse the end mill packaging you get, and double their holders as my holders that sit pressed fit into machined pockets. Mitee bites are the best with my threaded table, along with my own custom fixture clamps. I use a 3mm mitutoyo gage block as my tool setter, and parallels and edge finder to finish off what I use most. Add a dash of inlays for my name and voila.

If I could post a video, I would post one of it spinning. So instead, here are some links to my instagram page:

IMG_9578
IMG_9579
IMG_9580

9 Likes

I was hoping to get to this sooner but had to make it through planned presents when I got back from a work trip. Also I still haven’t finished everything yet, but I’ll point that out shortly.

I wanted something more modular for my design because the bits I’m using most frequently seems to change. Also I wanted to be able to stack if needed.
So I went with a simple box that I would put different inserts inside. I have a few planned ideas for the inserts.
Here is the box. I have magnet holes in top (and also need to make a jig to flip the box over and put magnets in the bottom so they can stack if I need).

The layout of magnets allows for a sort of recessed stacking like this:

The pockets are deep enough to allow for most bits I have to stack inside without any issue.
Also that first insert on top is for my Nomad bits.
I have 2 other common insert types I saw people seem to prefer:

I also need this to travel with me to the makerspace near me so I can use the shapeoko so I wanted to do something that has a recess and a lid (not done yet). But this is what I was after for the insert:

I’m debating inserting magnets into the channels as well to help hold the bits. Finger holes seem to work okay.
I like that this system is modular so I’m not stuck with one layout as my needs change.

I know the prize is more aimed at users of the shapeoko, but I’d love to get a chance to win one of the bit setters since it’d be a great boon to the makerspaces shapeoko.

Tips for the inserts. Create an offset path from the box pocket of .5mm for the insert.
Here’s the zip file
files.zip (72.3 KB)

I still need to glue in magnets and do a bit of sanding/finish.

11 Likes

Here is mine, I kept it simple.
Made areas for all the important things, and I also added a place to que up bits for jobs.
Designed in illustrator, then exported out to Vcarve.
Was a simple cut with a couple bit changes. I kept it cheap with just some Ply i had laying around.
I would post more pics but im a new member.

10 Likes

Here is the SVG link

I also made this carbide3d inspired design but didn’t have time to cut

3 Likes

I must say, I did not expect that we would see 16 (!) great projects submitted, and that they would be so different and interesting.

I also realized that it is hard for the latest entries to have a fighting chance, I will try to think of a slightly different voting mechanism next time, maybe with a deadline for submissions, and then once all projects are in, start a voting poll for a couple of days. Also maybe something to take the voters’ join date into account.
Anyway, the rules are the rules and the time has come to announce the results, which I captured at 12:00 PST

Liferj: 9
ChrisPowell: 9
TomH : 5
wmoy : 9
nytram6 : 19
stutaylo: 16
fredfow3: 6
PolarBear: 9
tplindley: 9
Zane: 15
CrookedWoodTex: 8
Griff: 3
SCCNC: 9
Chrislee.design: 3
Radiation: 2
HighSierraVisuals: 2

Congrats @nytram6 ! I’ll check with @Jorge and get back to you.

All, thanks a lot for sharing, and stay tuned for the next challenge, which I will launch in a couple of days.

6 Likes

Well, as far as a “contest” goes, the current “like” method sucks. I should have just got an old chunk of a mesquite tree and drilled some holes in it! :smiley:

But, this is a great way to get us motivated to produce something that we otherwise would keep putting off. I know I appreciate the results of my labor every time I pull that drawer open and there’s all my tools to pick from, and in one place. Thanks!

1 Like

@Julien I think it would be best for the next one if the entries were presented by a certain date at which point, voting would take place over say 48hrs. There is a polling capability on this board instead of “like” but I don’t know if it could handle that many entries or maybe ranked votes.

1 Like

Yep, this is exactly what I had in mind (except I would probably let more than 48hrs for voting, more like a week). I’ll try the poll thing and verify whether it can have a lot of entries, else we’ll figure some alternative way to do the same.

2 Likes

Using the like button is essentially approval voting. Using a survey allows for ‘vote for one’, and may allow rank voting and other alternative schemes. Just need to remember that no system will satisy everyone.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone who participated, it was really exciting to watch all the entries, and super kudos to @Julien for running it! @nytram6 PM sent.
We want to run these pretty regularly and I got a peek at what @Julien has planned, and all I can say is that they’re going to be super fun so stay tuned.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.