Community challenge #6: Creative Joinery (closed)

WOW! Both of you guys have perfect edges on those pieces!
@BlindedSands Love the Cube! Perfect fit! I had never heard of a Kawai Tsugite joint before, I would like to make one. And the magnets are a really nice touch. Very well done!

@MikeG Those C’s are so small! Was it hard to get them together? I had to use a rubber mallet on my last section and I broke a piece lol. I don’t see a gap anywhere! Those inside corners look tight!
My bearing setup might be too small for your needs, might have to go up to a larger size. I can give you the bearing housing I used, I just washer them up and leave some clearance for a nice spin. I bore or drill my base hole to 13/64 and tap with a 1/4-20.
1/4 ID bearings
Drill and tap 1/4-20
Fusion 360 link for Bearing Housing

Really nice work guys, very impressive!

3 Likes

Pretty sure that wood is Sapele. Great project!

2 Likes

Thank you @MrHume, good to know! I really like it, very nice wood for machining.

Sapele originates from West Africa, and it can be most easily found in countries such as Tanzania, Nigeria, and Ghana where the individual trees can grow up to impressive height of 45 meters in the air (with some rare examples going up to 60 meters), with the trunk diameter that can almost reach 2 meters (6 feet).

Sapele used for musical instruments

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words Max, from a craftsman like you that’s a great compliment!

Let’s say it was a very snug fit. Once the first two pieces were machined I was excited to see if they fit. They did, but it took squeezing a bit from top to bottom to get there. The last piece was the really interesting one as I thought about just gluing it up in case I couldn’t get it back apart. But it did and I was able to take it apart again with a lot of patient squeezing. Actually thinned the glue a little before applying which I’m glad I did! Having the rubber mallet and block ready was key as they were required to get the final few thousandths of alignment.

Thanks for the bearing setup. I was considering using a complicated thrust washer system but yours will make it much easier!

3 Likes

Thought I’d show you all what I ended up doing for the table base, I decided that the prototype I made took too long to cut, and honestly, I didn’t think it looked that great for a table base.

I ended up cutting the two parts for the legs and dominoed them. I just love the precision of designing exactly what I want, cutting on the CNC and simply cleanup and glue!

I made two bases:

8 Likes

Really nice Michael! What kind of lumber did you use on these final pieces?

1 Like

That looks really awesome, very cool design, interesting to look at. Love the finish!

1 Like

Thanks! The red wood is tigerwood. The other one I can’t find the English name for it. “Louro-canela” is what we call it here.

4 Likes