Compressor for mist cooling and chip clearing for milling aluminum?

Thank you for the input. I think I will run alcohol first, although I think I’ll still use a vent system just in case.

Thats actually the exact mister that I was looking at, around how many psi do you run it at?

Thank you

With the airbrush compressor I’m not sure of the exact PSI. The compressor is running continuously. I just open the air valve on the mister “about that much” so it is blowing fairly good.

When I used a pancake compressor I think I was setting the regulator to around 20 psi. But that’s been a while so I wont swear to that exact number.

As for venting the alcohol - I don’t bother. The vacuum sucks in the vapors and mixes it with a lot of air. I do the work in my basement. Outside people come down and don’t notice the scent of the denatured alcohol. So that tells me it is very low concentrations. I go through maybe 8oz of alcohol if cutting continuously for an hour. And rarely is it continuously as a single part is often 20-30 minutes and might have an endmill changeout or something.

2 Likes

Something that I’m in the process off trying out, because I’m kinda nuts & have too much free time is using a boat blower as my air source.

Ok, hear me out …

1. I had it for years from my boating days
  2. It’s small, outlet is 3”
  3. 12V DC, 2.6A draw
  4. It generates 120 CFM😁 - go big or …
  5. Noise level blends in with the rest of the machine noise.

I plan on using Kevin Bernots(sp ?, sorry Kevin) front end (from the blue tube to the mister parts) attached to a cone that I’m currently designing for the blower. Also adding an intake guard for the blower.

Could I end up blowing the cone off?
Burn on the motor?
Blow chips into my neighbor’s yard?

Sure, but all issues that can be overcome in the name of having fun.

And the Why? Cause I own a CNC machine that allows me the ability to make whatever pops in to my head. Also see above.

The second to last sentence is my favorite. Exactly. Keep it up James.

“Barnett” or KevBarn14

James,

There’s been some good discussion here. Hope you’ve been able to get things running how you’d like, in a safe manner.

• Kevin

Kevin,

Still having fun. I’m currently upgrading some electrical in the studio.

What I’m trying to figure out (and over thinking as usual) is how to set up a tool path that will allow me to put a rig(s) on the inside of the cone. Sort of like rifling a barrel, but the rifling stands up @ 1/4” or so from the inside wall.

I figured out how to mil the inside cone using a Taper tool path & that’s working fine. It tapers from 3-1/4” down to 1/2”, cut across (3) 1-1/2” blocks.

This will aid in mixing the air (hope) and if I add in injection port also into the cone (future) whatever I end up using as a coolent.

The fun continues

Jim

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.