Concrete enclosure

Hello
So here’s a new twist for you all, an Shapeoko Pro enclosure entirely made from a cube of 750x750x750x35mm tick concrete. The lid weights in at 90 kg, with two struts, each giving a lifting force of 75 kg.

How do you think that the sound dampening will be outside the box when running the machine?

Not sure about the sound but there is a danger not being able to see and/or hear your machine when running. I know the noise can be annoying but when a project comes loose and starts thrashing around you want to hear and see it. Unfortunately the CNC machines are not fire and forget and they need to be monitored. If you think the concrete lid is necessary you may want to mount a video camera inside the enclosure so you can watch the cutting process.

Good Luck with your project.

1 Like

Thanks, just brainstorming here. Concrete is cheap and sturdy and it’s also easy to put in some glass for viewing. As it’s in my apartment the sound dampening is important to me. First I was thinking of using sound insulated glass panels, glued together like an cheese clock, that just lifts straight up, but glass is also very heavy and expensive.

Personally, I’d love to see how it works out in practice but I can only think about how hard it would be for me to get rid of one if the first version went wrong. (I’m lucky if I can get our Amazon boxes picked up)

2 Likes

So now with a small window so one can do a sneak peek inside when milling.
Anyone have a link to a crude model of a Shapeoko that I can put inside for laying out purpose?

So this is how the professionals do it, a lot of good reading, we learn something new every day!

materials-14-00398-v2.pdf (3.7 MB)

And just to be clear, I have nothing to do with with any of these persons or companies, just a retiree that wants a new hobby!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.