Confused about inlay mode with advanced vcarve

Hi,

I looked through all the other threads and am still. confused about how to make this work. I have 8 plaques I’d like to make. I can produce them all out of a single piece of hard maple.

I want to then produce the inlays out of a single piece of walnut. I can’t have both on my 4XXL at the same time.

How should I create the file since there are two contrasting pieces? I figured it would be two files but the information I’ve seen from @WillAdams seems to show both pieces being cut at the same time.

Any good advice is appreciated!

No, I cut each separately in separate files:

Thanks. I believe your comments mentioned selecting both the inlay and the pocket at the same time and clicking the inlay mode on. That would indicate they’re in the same file hence my (still) confusion.

It is far simpler to have two files — perhaps the confusion stems from opening the first, modifying it, then re-saving as a second version?

Asking a different way… is there a reason for the mirrored and non mirrored paths to be selected simultaneously?

The way I was going to do it was:

File 1:
Advance vcarve the pocket

File 2:
Mirror the design with the border around it and advance vcarve that with the inlay mode checked.

No, what you describe will work, but it needs for the user to remember which is the current operation, what is the necessary orientation, and to determine and apply the correct glue gap.

Sorry. Totally lost then about to to create two files.

Create the female pocket pocket with what ever tools you want. Save that file as female.c2d.

After saving delete the tool path for the advanced vcarve and mirror your object and add your rectangle, circle or rectangle. Do the advanced vcarve path using the exact same tools for the female pocket. On the male inlay check the inlay mode and set your bottom gap. The bottom gap is room for the glue to be pushed down and keep the male inlay from being pushed back up by hydraulic pressure of the glue. Then save as male.c2d.

Your female pocket was saved and then the second male was also saved.

Of course use what ever name you want but I would include male and female in the name to help when cutting.

An inlay and female pocket are two different operations. So it makes sense to make 2 files.

1 Like

There is an article on the inlay process in the latest issue of Wood Magazine (Nov 23).

In this one the guy is using Vectric. It’s fairly basic and doesn’t say anything that hasn’t been said in this forum over and over. But, it does have some pictures that may help orient new users to the process.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.