Consistent Advanced Vcarve issue

Hello I seem to be having a consistent issue with advanced Vcarve when cutting a simple star. I have tried different shape stars using different gcode and still seem to have the same issues. I have attached a photo for reference the red arrow shows what seems to be a tear drop shape from the v-bit while the blue arrow shows a sort of step out. Everything seems to cut fine until the final paths that define points of the star. Also im not sure if its related but on the final passes i get quite a few “air cuts” or phantom cuts. I am using a 1/4” end mill for the pocket and a 60° v-bit for the vcarve on a shapeoko XXL PRO.

newstar.c2d (22.2 KB)
newstargcode.nc (65.2 KB)

Robert, I do not have access to CC software at my current location, but it looks like there’s an extra node in your star. Can you take a look in node edit mode to see if it’s there? If so, you should be able to just delete it.

The preview of the file seems okay — please check the machine mechanically. Per the machine operating checklist: Machine Operating Checklist - Carbide 3D , the basic points of adjustment for a machine are:

If you don’t find anything obvious to adjust, let us know at support@carbide3d.com

Since posting this I fell down the rabbit hole of reading thread after thread of similar peoples problems along with your contributions in helping solve them. When it comes to v-bits the tiniest imperfection can basically result in very visible issues. I have a checklist of things to check including those that you mentioned here. The X pulley seems a likely culprit as well as a properly set Z-Zero maybe I need to accommodate for a flat tip on my v-bit. I’ll try to make some changes, run some tests and update if I’m able to find a solution. I’ve seen similar problems drive people mad.

For anyone else experiencing any problems I highly recommend reading through Shapeoko CNC A to Z wish i would have came across that sooner. Great job helping put that together @WillAdams

Actually, that e-book:

was all @Julien and some volunteers — I did some light proofreading and tried for some constructive criticism, but not sure if I was help or hindrance.

1 Like

Hey help or hindrance you made it in the credits and that’s impressive enough for me :+1:

Found both Y axis pulleys were loose! Little bit of loctite and everything is working perfectly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.