Contribution to the Shapeoko ebook

Hi folks,

You may be aware of this little side/fan project I have:

I’ve been writing the first versions with (outstanding) support from @WillAdams and a number of people from the community credited in the ebook, but over the past two years the bulk of the community has shifted to the Shapeoko4 and Pro (and now HDM) and while most of the ebook content still stands, the pictures and some of the information is getting obsolete.

Also, I’ve been wanting to add information (more project examples, more troubleshooting tips) but can’t seem to find time or good opportunities to do so.

If some of you would like to contribute to improving that ebook for the community, I’m (now) open to that. It could be as simple as providing up to date pictures of the SO4/Pro/HDM to add to the SO3 illustrations in the existing sections, but you could also propose any edit/addition to the current content to improve the book. Anyone willing to contribute content would need to register for a gitbook account, and I would add them as “editors” of the gitbook project. Gitbook “editors” can access the project’s content in gitbook’s…editor, modify it in their private branch, and then submit “merge requests” (this is gitbook’s way to not have everyone modifying content in the main line, to keep things under control)

The only rules are:

• the ebook is and will stay free (of charge), this is intended to support the community. So any contribution would be voluntary.
  • I will still get to decide which content makes it in the ebook and what doesn’t, I’m not picky at all but I need to ensure the content is not all over the place and the overall structure is maintained.

Anyway, if you are interested, drop me a PM and we can discuss ways to make the ebook better.

6 Likes

Even though your book is free you may consider copyrighting the book.
I am not sure what is involved but it does make the book intellectual property and will protect your content. (I believe?) I am not an attorney by any stretch of the imagination. :grin:

It does have a copyright licence (near the bottom of the first page), Creative Commons BY-NC-SA, which basically means that it’s ok to use it for anything non commercial, and if crediting the authors (in this case, me and the various contributors)

It’s basically a decent license for such a hobbyist/community endeavour. But I’m no lawyer either :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hadn’t looked at the book at all. I was just trying to help. But if so, he should be ok as long as he hadn’t copied any others work. (Again, not an attorney) :wink:

1 Like

Another not-a-lawyer here, but I think that in the US and UK (at least) everything is under copyright as soon as it has been created. It has to be explicitly freed from copyright to allow it to be copied or used elsewhere.

3 Likes