Control Board mislabeled

I should preface this by mentioning I purchased my Shapeoko Pro XXL a year ago (Black Friday 2022) and it sat in boxes until a few weeks ago. Excited, I began setting everything up. After discovering a box of parts were missing, receiving them in the mail, and continuing with setup, I finally got to the end where I was ready to turn everything on (a note about connecting wires in a moment). When I ran the Add New Machine prompts, it flaked out on me when it tried to initialize. It started with the Z axis, made some grinding noises (like it was trying to move past an obstruction) and sent me error codes. After several attempts and even noticing the X-axis wouldn’t go more than about 10 mm before stopping and saying there was an obstruction, I went to the control board to investigate. I noticed that the Z-axis was already at the limit and the proximity switch was lit on the gantry. But the control board showed the X-axis was lit. So I held a piece of metal at the X-axis proximity switch and the Z-axis lit up on the control board. I traced the wires back almost a dozen times and was certain I had them correct. My fix was to simply feed the X-axis wire to the Z-axis connector, and then same for the Z-axis wire. Again, I checked and traced wires back from each proximity switch, so I know they were the correct wires. But apparently my PCB board is mislabeled. Has anyone else had this issue? Everything seems to be working fine. Setup went the rest of the way flawlessly, and it initializes as it should. Even the debug screen shows everything is setup correctly. Just wondering if I can expect any longterm affects.

Finally, if you buy a CNC router and let it sit in the boxes for a year, you might experience what I did. I live in SC so my garage can get a bit hot. When I went to make all the connections on the wire harness to the PCB, all of the labels were blank. I’m thinking the glue from the tape deteriorated the ink on the labels. I had to manually trace back every wire to ensure it went where it was supposed to. Other than my issue above, it was pretty easy to do. Just a word of caution if you plan to buy and set up later.

1 Like

Mine was like that in 2021. I switched the wires and have never had the problem again.

1 Like

My understanding is the wiring for the homing switches on the SO4/Pro is such that it is the wiring, rather than the connector position which determines which is which.

We will not enumerate how many times I have crashed my machines, nor how hard, nor how many instances of misconfiguration have been done (and used in initialization attempts) — in my defense, some of these were in testing customer files or betas — it should be fine.

If not, let us know at support and we’ll work out how to handle it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.