Controll machine after designing on ipad pro with shapr3d?

Those designs look like one would export DXFs from Shapr3D, then apply toolpaths in Carbide Create (no Pro necessary) assuming that they are cut out of flat stock.

The one issue might be joinery — what sort of joinery do you envision using? How is it drawn up in Shapr3D?

Could you share a single component which includes all the parts for it including the joinery?

A side story inspired by your cedar closet project: I worked as a joiner for a yacht manufacturer in New Orleans. My first day on the job i was tasked with lining one of the closest with cedar. I thought it would be with some solid cedar paneling, but instead i was sent down the the lower part of the shop to where some 3/16 cedar veneer paneling was laying the floor covered in aluminum dust. I asked for a vacuum or compressed air to clean it with, they didnt have either. I was given a broom to sweep it off with. I asked where the finishing room was so i could clear coat the panel. They didn’t have that either! Then i asked for the spray system to apply the clear coat, they gave me a paint roller. So i cleaned it the best i could by blowing (with my mouth and lungs) it off. Then proceeded to roll minwax poly-crylic onto the sheet with a paint roller. These were 150’ aluminum hulled yachts that sold in the range of $30 million dollars! What a circus.

1 Like

Yes, that type of work would be more efficient with CAD/CAM. All of your ‘bulkheads’ & ‘stringers’ look like good candidates. Looks like you’re already doing nesting on the parts too. :slight_smile:
A machine that would take a 4x8 sheet would be ideal for this. But breaking them down into bite-size chunks for your machine will work.
Will’s suggestion of Shapr3D → DXF → CC (CC Pro definitely not needed for this stuff) is spot on.

Nice looking design. Good luck with it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the cost different between an XXL and a machine which can take full 4’ x 8’ sheets, one can (even at today’s prices) buy a fair bit of plywood.

Working in terms of 32" thirds of a sheet is pretty workable, and allows for some decent size projects, esp. w/ tiling.

I built a prototype, in a hurry, most joinery was simply butt with glue and staples. Others were butt with 1/4-20 sidewalk bolts and tee nuts, or barrel nuts. Regardless, no joinery to detail. We just got back from a 2 week, 3800 mile round trip of camping. Everything held together well. Im thinking the final product will use furniture bolts and barrel nuts everywhere, and/or, if im feeling fancy, a simple to machine box joint.
Im using the free version of shaper3d still, so had to “disassemble” the model and place the parts on a 4x8 rectangle to get the best net of material. Then painstakingly hand laid out each part on the plywood and cut with jigsaw and router guides.

1 Like

To be clear, when you say “ Shapr3D → DXF → CC”, then from CC to CM to run the router? I wont need meshcam since it is going through CC, correct?

Yes, I left out CM. You won’t need meshcam for this type of work.

1 Like

Okay, here’s a rough re-drawing of the geometry of one part to cut out a mockup of one part:

The only geometry which needs to be modified is the rabbets at the end, and the outline, since one doesn’t want to cut a slot as deep as the part — you can combine the twain:

First select the part outline and offset by endmill diameter plus 10%:

(this will be a bit clearer on a larger piece of stock):

Then it’s time for toolpaths.

You’ll want to cut out the interior first (there are a couple of ways this could be done, this is just one approach:

Select the inner geometry and assign a pocket toolpath to cut them out (if the areas are large enough to merit saving, go back and do an offset to the inside as above and cut as a pocket)

If a region is too narrow to be cut out, use a smaller tool or redraw the geometry if you wish to cut as a slot:

If need be, adjust cutting depth:

Then, select the central/raised/non-rabbeted portion of the drawing:

and select the offset from above and assign a toolpath to half the stock thickness:

Then select the part outline and the stock thickness and assign a pocket toolpath down to either tab height or the penultimate pass or all the way through, depending on whether tabs are needed or how the part will be held in place:

and it previews as:

Here’s the file in v6 format to examine:

partmockup.c2d (109.3 KB)

MeshCAM could do the same sort of thing from a DXF and might be easier.

Thanks! This is really good stuff. I just got notification that shaper3d is on sale so makes it easier for me to get it and CCPro, then if i find later i want meshcam ill add it. I realize CC will work, but i know ill want pro soon, and i got money for it now. I can really see the advantage of CC, looks really fast and simple.
Now to find a cost effective tablet to use with it.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Book 12 (which I despair of replacing) — I know some development is done on Microsoft Surface tablets (and my son loves his Surface Book 2).

Pro has really increased its value proposition w/ the addition of Rest Machining.

Yea, im thinking in the sub $300 range?
There is some talk on here about the fusion5 tablet being a good in expensive choice.

The Fusion5 is well-suited to running Carbide Motion and controlling the machine — just be sure to get one compatible w/ the program.

On that, im having a difficult time finding. I found it for CM= Windows 8.1 or newer and 4GB of RAM. But cant find requirements for CC pro?

I did find the surface go 2, that seems to be in my price as well. You said your son likes it, does he run a shapeoko with it?

The system requirement for CCPro are the same as for Carbide Create:

Windows:

• Windows 8, 10, or 11 , 64-Bit (Intel or AMD)
  • 4GB RAM
  • Screen Display: 1280 x 1024

Mac:

• OS/X 10.14 or higher
  • 4GB RAM
  • Screen Display: 1280 x 1024

My son has a Surface Book 2 which he used to control the machine when he was home.

Folks who have had higher-spec Surface Go 2s have been pleased w/ it, but a few w/ low end versions have found performance lacking.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.