Convert GPS waypoint data to vectors/text?

Does anyone have a procedure for converting GPS waypoint coordinates to CAD/CAM-able vectors?

I have some GPX data that I can readily convert the track/route data into vectors e.g. .dxf but not the GPX (or KML) waypoint data.

I’ve tried brute-force converting the GPX waypoint data to .dxf through QGIS and a couple other convertors but the resulting .dxf file cannot be opened by CC or VCarve.

Plenty of googling leads to a few random posts across the web implying it can be done, but nothing specific enough to replicate.

Ultimately I’m looking to take the waypoint data, convert it into cutable vectors and text and overlay on a typical 3d topo map.

Thanks,
-Mark

Post the DXF file here?

Alternately, plot the data in a graphing tool, then export the graph as an SVG, then edit that?

Thanks for the quick response. Here it is. The data looks reasonably sane in a text editor and re-importing to QGIS, it appears to recognize there are 24 data points but an ‘empty vector layer’.

Worst-case I can use a screen capture of the waypoints, then vector-trace the bitmap, but that’s fairly crude being QGIS->MS snipping tool->CorelDraw BitMap Trace → CC

-Mark
MKK waypoint data exported as dxf CRS WGS 84.dxf (10.9 KB)

Are the 24 data points connected with lines?

That would be what Carbide Create would want to import (and I believe what you are trying to cut).

The 24 waypoints are their own type of data, related to but separate from the gps track data.

In that sense, I think the waypoints are just individual XYZ points (with associated text labels) in the coordinate space.

My hope is there’s a conversion process out there that would vectorize the waypoints and text.

The track data is easily converted to a vector - but as far as I can tell that vector doesn’t reflect the waypoints anyways.

-Mark

Any good at coding in Python.

I managed something along the lines you describe with Houdini. See link

1 Like

Nope, no good at python.

I think I may have figured it out. It looks like GPS Visualizer (https://www.gpsvisualizer.com) will readily output a .svg with the waypoints vectorized as circles. Waypoint text labels are present, although not vectors themselves. CC and VCarve doesn’t include the text labels on import the resulting .svg, but CorelDraw does.

I’m sort of losing track of my tool-chain at this point :slight_smile: but I think it’s:

1. Acquire topo data from USGS (or other topo source)
  2. Import topo data into QGIS as a layer
  3. Import GPX track data into QGIS as a layer
  4. Trim topo data as desired and add a bounding box (vector) to the GPX track data - so there’s a positional reference of one to the other.
  5. Export trimmed topo data as .stl
  6. Export modified track data as a .dxf
  7. Use GPS Convertor to export an SVG of GPX track AND waypoint data
  8. Import output from GSPConvertor to CorelDraw and and manipulate as desired, including use Convert to Curves to vectorize waypoint text. Export as SVG
  9. Import topo STL to CC or VCarve
  10. Import GPS track dxf to CC or VCarve and resize to fit topo data (call it vector-set 1)
  11. Import GPS track and waypoint .svg and resize to overlay vector set 1 above (call this vector set 2)
  12. Delete vector set 1 (it’s redundant now that we have a vector set with track AND waypoint vectors sized to fit the topo data)
  13. Project vector-set 2 onto the topo map using i) VCarve " “Project toolpath onto 3D model” or ii) Fenrus’ jscript CNC2CNC (requires generating gcode files separately then CNC2CNC projects one onto the other in a new, 3rd combined tool path)
  14. Cut stuff

Well, that’s only 15 or so steps across 5-6 different programs. Easy-peasy - LOL

Incidentally, I originally followed ClayJar’s post on terrain modelling, also referreced in AnyP’s post. That got me as far as using QGIS to create layers and a bounding-box for my track data, but I found that - like Andy - the rest of ClayJar’s procedure was broken or I wasn’t doing something right.

-Mark

1 Like

I used coordinates here, but I just worked from SVGs and ensured the scale was correct for the overlay basically.

1 Like

Are you able to lift the paths onto the 3d surface with your workflow?

I cheated and did an inlay from the back on mine. but after I did that project I saw an interesting workflow using the modeling aspect in carbide create. I believe it was the subtract command. maybe @WillAdams remembers.

Once you have a closed vector you can:

• subtract it from the geographic model
  • disable
  • cut the geographic model
  • enable
  • use the vector to cut only the closed vector

Steven will always be a hero to me for doing an inlaid topo - from the back face of the model :slight_smile:

1 Like

lol thanks. it was a logistical nightmare of zeros and flipped geometry that somehow worked. also it was so much machining time it got me to buy a spindle, no regrets. wish I had it for the project.

Well, my 14-step process didn’t quite work. In particular Step 8 using Corel Draw to vectorize waypoint text was only partially successful. Some of the waypoint labels vectorized readily. Others threw a warning: “modifying the order or removing this object may impact the integrity of the exported .svg file”.

Ignoring the warning results in a file CC can’t load. I suspect it has to do with layers but no idea if there’s a workaround.

I ended up entering the waypoint labels by hand and picking up again at step 9.

Note that the waypoint locations themselves are represented by normal circle vectors and didn’t require any manipulation, so I still consider the GPS Convertor step 7 worthwhile.

-Mark

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.