Converting stl/3mf to dxf or svg

I am having issues converting STL or 3MF to DXF or SVG. Any ideas.

STL & 3MF are 3D faceted solids / surfaces. DXF & SVG are 2D drawing/vector lines/curves.
They don’t directly translate. You would have to use the solid to create the lines/curves you want, then translate those.

1 Like

Where did you source the STL/3MF files?

What are they of?

What are you attempting to do w/ them?

Is using a traditional 3D CAM tool such as MeshCAM an option?

I bought an Esty file of an American flag and eagle. However, I over looked that it was a STL for Vetric software. I tried using Fusion 360 MeshCam but I could not find out how to save as a DXF of SVG file. I also tried other file conversion programs with no luck. I am trying to 3d carve them.

I bought an Esty file of an American flag and eagle. However, I over looked that it was a STL for Vectric software. I tried using Fusion 360 MeshCam but I could not find out how to save as a DXF of SVG file. I also tried other file conversion programs with no luck. I am trying to 3d carve them. I looked at your software but the price tag for the software is something that I would have to put on my wish. The price tag for Cut 3D from Vectric is cheaper. However, I am trying to find a program that would also work with converting files for mine 3d printer along with my cnc. I am looking at options so I don’t have to have a lot of programs for CNC, 3D printing, and lasering. I need to keep it simple. I want this to be a side business when I retire in about 2 years.

It’s Fusion 360 or MeshCAM — they are two separate products.

There is a stand-alone tool for this:

https://fenrus75.github.io/FenrusCNCtools/stl2nc/stl2nc.html

see previous discussion at:

Thank you, for the info. I was using Fusion 360 but it was called Mesh so I stand corrected. I will try the link you gave me.

I had to do many STL conversions to JPEG files in the past and used “reaConverter 7 Standard” to do those.

Check it out as it SAVES to various formats that I do not recall other than the JPEG. It was reasonably priced at the time also.

And there are on-line converters that can be used also.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.