Converting STL into SVG to produce GCode

This is a follow on from my original (closed) post in January

I got a number of helpful replies at that time but life took over and I never progressed much more until now. To save a read of the original file:

I have an old band-saw and the guide blocks are missing in action so I cant copy them and they are No Longer Available.

All is not lost as another owner designed and printed some Guide Blocks on a 3d Printer and made the STL available and I have downloaded it. Craftsman band saw blade guide by gabeknuth - Thingiverse.

I can open the STL in Materialise MiniMagics but can’t for the life of me work out the measurements to draw it in CC…I think because it is the free version with limited functionality.

I converted it to SVG online but the SVG consists of multiple SVGs representing the slices used in the STL.

Can anyone advise me how I turn the multiple SVGs in to 1 so that I can use it in CC and convert it to Gcode. I have waded through responses to many of the same questions but none seem to cover the issue of an STL converted into SVG slices :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I hasten to add that I do not have a 3d printer and much as I would like one I think it best I learn the CNC first but I do have a couple of Slicer programmes

if you want to cut it as 3d shape… that’s easy

if you just want an outline, you can first convert to PNG and then edit and trace it?

for either option take a look at STL2NC - javascript edition

SVG (right-click–>Save image as):
sawThing

The main body is 8.6mm thick. The raised portion adds 1mm to that for a total of 9.6mm.

1 Like

Many thanks @fenrus! Ran it thru and png looks OK and I downloaded the GCode and will try it tonight on some scrap to see how it works out and report back. I have some HDPE and also a small piece of aluminium that might just be thick enough for the final version.

It will be nice to get the bandsaw operating but I’ll need to swap the 110v motor for a 240v first. I have some nice Silky Oak I need to run thru the saw to make some John Clarke boxes.

@neilferreri. Thats great now I can run the downloaded gcode from fenrus and also get some practise actually drawing the project myself. Can you tell me how you got to that stage of the image with measurements?

Gotta love this community

1 Like

I used Fusion 360.

Without going to a full featured CAD program like that, I think you could probably get something pretty good out of TinkerCad. It looks really simple, but it’s got some strengths.

The middle image, without dimensions, is an SVG. You should be able to import it into Carbide Create.

I have a kink to Tinkercad tutorials and intend to have a look but at the moment I am still coming to grips with CC.
I spotted the svg and have it to downloaded. It wont be tonight as I am on my 2nd glass of Pinot Noir
Uploading: 20210511_164622.jpg…

One option is to import the STL into OpenSCAD or a similar tool and rotate it as desired, shift it up/down and to projection() to export a 2D version of each slice — I did that for a cigar box toolkit.

@WillAdams. I have OpenSCAD but have never used it and at this time find CC and Inkscape are giving my braincells enough to cope with😩.
I think I should be good to go with what fenrus and neil have given me.
Thanks again guys for all your help and support.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.