Corner Finding Ruler?

I do a decent amount of production work on my Shapeoko so while taking a ruler and marking the center using the corner to corner technique is not very time consuming, I’m looking to optimize.

Does there exist a ruler that has a right angle that can lay in the corner of the stock and a pivoting ruler that can quickly swing to the other corner? I tried googling for this with no avail. Perhaps I just need to make this?

Thoughts?

1 Like

Is the stock within a narrow range of dimensions? If so, you could make one of these.

1 Like

I like where your mind’s at - that would work well potentially to find the center line, but for the center point I would need apply a center line both horizontally and vertically. It might work on some smaller applications, but for longer ones doesn’t make sense.

To illustrate what I have in mind, something like this but with a pivoting ruler (not fixed at 45) since my stock is usually not square.

I believe what you want is the:

the CT-4 Angle Divider from:

(unfortunately, not available at the moment)

That tool looks like it bisects the angle to find the center of a larger angle. If I have a rectangle that would give me a 45deg which is not the diagonal to the opposite corner.

Ah, not always working on square stock.

I use a folding ruler as you describe — does that not work for you? Just have to put the pivot point of the rule at the corner — easy if you get one which has a hollow hinge:

1 Like

I use a center finding ruler and the corner method. The first corner I use the center finding scale with zero about the center and draw a 2 inch mark and the other corner aligned to the corners and draw short line to define the center.

here is what I use:

1 Like

First pass at designing what I want. I ordered some “Chicago Screws” from amazon to connect to two pieces. This is the bottom view so the rabbited corner will fit on the stocks top corner and the ruler will pivot on the hole in alignment with the corner.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.