Cost to run Shapeoko Pro

Hey Carbide 3D Community,

Has anyone calculated what it costs per hour to run the Shapeoko Pro as far as electricity? I know it will depend on everyone’s set up but I am looking for averages. I want to include the dust collection, the Makita router and the Shapeoko itself.

Any formulas you may have will also help. I am trying to compare what it actually costs versus what I am charging on woodworking CNC work.

I would think that even in today’s energy market, that cost is negligible compared to stock material cost and how much your time at the machine side is worth.
That’s not very helpful I guess, just my gut feeling.

4 Likes

Router: ~0.75kW
ShopVac/small dust system: ~1.4kW
Machine & Computer: ~0.2kW

So around 2.35kW x hours of use = kWh

6 Likes

Yep, totally understand. It was mostly just curiosity and worth knowing how it affects overhead even if it’s minimal.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. The highest cost from the electric company here is 32.8 cents per kWh during peak demand. With your formula, it would cost me 0.78 dollars per hour during peak demand.

As a part-time woodworker, if I run my Shapeoko for 15 hours per week. My total cost is estimated to be $46.80 per month. I am going to make sure this cost is reflected in my overhead.

These numbers are a great starting point. There are also many other discussions here on the forum that will point out that even if the router is rated at .75kW it likely will not be that high. That would be closer to the power consumed if you where on the edge of stalling the spindle (sustained) and the filter/bag on your Shopvac is full/very dirty. A 15A 120V circuit is 1800kWh and a 20A 120V plug is 2400kWh which lines up with @Tod1d numbers and pretty sure it’s safe to say that most people run their setups on 1 x 15A 120V circuit so 1800kWh. So if your setup is currently on a single 15A 120V circuit and the breaker is not tripping your max is 1800kWh.

EDIT: If that’s the case you may be closer to about $35/month for electricity based on your usage. That said their are also the consumables to consider like endmill wear, workholding (painters tape and CA glue), etc… Not sure how much those other factors will come into play over time but so far my endmills have alot of mileage and still cutting well. I’ve been thinking about this as well lately because I’m starting to produce items for markets and also looking at running some jobs at an hourly rate so it has to be worth the time and effort in the end. I keep telling my wife I’m not donating time to strangers especially if this means I’ll have much less time to make nice things for our family :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hahaha, your wife should talk to my wife!

Thanks for the info! I am aware my number could be lower because of what you stated and also, I am not going to always run the CNC during peak demand. The cost per kWh drops dramatically for non-peak demand.

Maybe calculating the cost based on worst case scenario will cover the cost for the end mills?

I am going to definitely make sure this cost gets absorbed through my work somehow.

Thank you!

1 Like

Or… You could measure the actual power consumption with a Kill-a-Watt monitor. ~$30 at the big-box store. Many libraries loan then to patrons as well.

4 Likes

Also a great way to go! thanks for the info!

Your post reminds me of those famous Mastercard commercials

• Cost for running a Shapeoko Pro for 30 mins $46.80

• Cost for 2 pack of #201 1/4 inch bits of carbide 3D $45

• Sound of Router and Vacuum drowning out my wife, telling me all the things I do wrong Priceless

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.