Couple General Vcarve Questions

I was playing around with all kinds of settings today trying to get some clean Vcarve results into acrylic.

Things went well. My end result looks really clean IMO with only a couple of issues in the end:

For some reason when I was carving small text the toothpaths are messed up on certain letters. See images. The “D” in DOC is scuffed and also the lowercase “e” in 2 locations on the bottom line. Any ideas what’s causing this?

My process for advanced Vcarving the large numbers was to use a 1/8" endmill then clean up with a 1/8" 60degree vbit. To get the best results I need to set the stepover at 0 but it gives me an error saying the minimum is 0.0004", if I choose that result then close it and re-open it, it’s saved as 0 for some reason. Everything works but I found this strange. Is that what you guys do?

There were some very minor imperfections around the letters after advanced vcarve so I ran an inner contour toolpath and it seemed to clean things up to near perfection.

Not sure if I’m doing it the right way but it seems to work.

1 Like

I bet the problem with the ‘D’ is the font. It appears the font you are using has multiple overlapping regions for that letter, that does not play well with VCarve.

About the only thing you could do is convert the text to Curves, then apply boolean operations to clean up the letter and VCarve that.

4 Likes

CC seems like it only displays 3 digits past the decimal, but it does save the original value. So the step over was still .0004 internally.

1 Like

Please post the file.

As @mhotchin noted, it looks like overlapping/doubled up geometry confused the V carve toolpath algorithm — what does look like this in the 3D Preview?

Files attached
text advanced vcarve.c2d (508 KB)

My screenshot in my OP was taken on my CNC laptop, these ones are from when I loaded the file on my main PC. Carbide Create isn’t calibrated on my PC and it seems to have thrown off the sizing a bit, but now the toolpaths look good.

That file doesn’t match the previous screengrab which evinced the problem and should cut correctly:

I’m not sure if I’m messing up. When doing advanced vcarve I’m getting some minor distortions in the edges from my vbit pass. When it’s clearing out the corners it pushes into the edges of certain areas very slightly - but enough to notice it.

I’m really trying to optimize my cuts so I can move forward in the right way. Do you guys see flaws in the process I’m doing, like running such a low stepover or something else?

Is it normal to have to create an inner offset and run a contour of that to sharpen up the edges at the end? The end result is really nice, but I just want to be sure I’m not doing unnecessary clean up passes.

Any ideas why this font gets these strange extra lines?

If I try to edit the nodes and delete some, it completely breaks the font for some reason.

Wrongly designed font — it shouldn’t have such self-intersections.

Use a different font which is technically correct?

What font is it?

I am no font expert but I have seen that a lot and I guess it has to do with rendering them on “paper”. Maybe that extra tidbit tells the systems which side of the area to fill.

It is annoying though. I just did a project using a downloaded version of the national park font and had to go in and fix certain letters. Of course my fix was to that letter, not the font so the next time I use it I get to do it all over again.

Ditto on a font I used for some Halloween stuff.

I usually cut, not delete the node and then draw new poly lines in to reconnect where necessary and then join the vectors. If there is a better way I am all ears.

download link is at the top right

I’m pretty sure it’s an extremely popular font

Thanks for the tip on editing the nodes. I’ll give that a shot! It’s definitely a bit annoying but I like that font a lot.

Here’s some of the results of advanced vcarve and regular vcarve into aluminum plate (before / after sanding). I was testing various DOC:

Popularity does not necessitate technical correctness.

Using Text | Convert to Curves we get:

Draw in geometry which isolates what needs to be removed:

Then use the Trim Vectors command:

click to remove what one doesn’t want:

repeat this until one arrives at:

repeat for each numeral

Usually one doesn’t V carve in metal.

1 Like

It’s a free font so I can’t complain, I don’t mind cleaning it up.

Nice technique, thanks for sharing!

I’m confused why the font works perfectly on my PC but on my laptop it has those issues.

Does the Font come in different formats, like OTF vs TTF?

EDIT - never mind, I just checked it out it’s all TTF.

Will,

I used this one recently and it did have those issues in some letters:

Downloads/Donations - National Park Typeface

I chose the variable ttf file.

What are you guys using to cut clean / sharp aluminum letters? Only needs to be 0.02" deep. Ball nose end mill?

Just a quick update for anyone having issues with the font adding extra geometry, in my case it was caused my the font coming from google. I downloaded the same font from “fontesk” website and it works flawlessly on my laptop.

Interesting so the font You chose came from CC? or one you pulled from google? or?

The font came from Google fonts (fonts.google.com). I’ve only tested that one font so far.