Crazy looking bit

I just noticed this bit on the Cadence site. Has anyone tried it?

1 Like

mine arrived the other day. I hope to run it through a few jobs this weekend

1 Like

Keep us posted. It looks like it will work a lot better than the ones that don’t have much in the way of chip evacuation.

The bit looks interesting. Most traditional bowl bits have bearings you would need to remove for a CNC. I have the Groovee Jenny 60 degree down cut vee bit and love it. These folks seem to be very innovative.

1 Like

I just use Core Box router bits. You can get these in different sizes from 1/4 up to 3/4 inch. A lot cheaper than the Bowl-Cut Jenny. Yoniko is the brand. Check Amazon . Maybe you need more depth though.

I bought my “crazy looking bit” to use in a bowl project. When I can, I buy Made In USA rather than stuff of Chinese origin. Cody and his wife Bridget of Cadence MFG are swell folks, too. I’ve invested in 4 or 5 of their bits.

I’ve already made the bowl project once, but wasn’t satisfied with the results from the tapered ball nose combo that I normally use. I’m thinking this bowl cut Jenny will make a nice cut.

2 Likes

I purchased this about a month ago and used it to cut some handles into a cutting board. Works great and has a nice clean cut surface! Rough passed for most of the handle then did a finishing pass and really didn’t have to sand much at all which is always nice. I bought the beginner pack and also included the extended reach and 30 degree Jenny. They have all worked very well so far and are definitely worth the investment.

I am keeping my Jenny bits separate to be used solely on hardwoods and inlays. I do a lot of epoxy and have a separate set of bits I use on those items as I find the epoxy is hard on them and don’t want to damage my Jenny bits. The inlays with my Jenny bits have been turning out flawless! I can’t just say its all the bits though because I took the time to do some much needed maintenance. I put a layer of 1/2" rigid insulation under my machine, trammed the router, flattened my spoilboards, lubed bearings and tightened my belts. Now my inlays are spot on once again!

1 Like

I have several Jenny bits including the extended reach, 30 and 60 degree. They are all great.

However I feel like the tip on my 30 has been blunted slightly. I don’t know if it was epoxy or hitting the bitsetter. Similar issue with my 30 from IDC and that one has never seen epoxy.

I am interested in trying the bowl bit though.

yeah those are generally the only option prior to this. but there is a reason we don’t all use these straight fluted bits for our general machining.

my white side bowl bit has seen some use, so it should be a nice test. I just wish the radius on the cadence bit was a bit larger.

Agreed! 3/4" would be ideal

New to a lot of this but how does one track down the various information to enter when setting up a new bit. Like plunge rate, feed rate, depth etc.

See:

and

and

Thanks so much for your assistance!

If you are using a similar bit to the ones C3D makes copy that data when creating the new tool database. Then you can modify the parameters how you like but you have a starting point.

I added a key hole bit and went to Freud’s website and the F&S’s were fantastically high for my SO3. So be careful when looking at OEM sites because the F&S are often for an industrial CNC and not a hobby one.

There is a youtuber IDC Woodcraft that sells cnc tools. He has a c3d database format file for his bits. You could see if your bits are similar to the ones he sells and use his as a starting point as well as the c3d ones.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.