Create star inlay with vee carve

I have created inset stars (shape of US flag stars) on my project using a vee carve. Now I want to cut another piece of wood that is the complete inverse so that they will insert into the previously cut stars. I tried using the same vee carve bit (90 degree) with a tool path of “outside”, but it is not even close. The points are all rounded.

Has anybody else done this? If so, please tell me how you did it.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

If you cut along the perimeter, with no offset, that should match up.

That is what I did. Same star, same V bit, but it ran VERY deep, and the ends of the star points were rounded.

Also, thank you very much for your reply!

Is this in Carbide create?

Yes sir. Latest version

You’ll need to get the zero set accurately at the surface of the wasteboard / bottom of the stock.

See how the points are not even and some are rounded?

That’s because you have the path offset from the star.

You need a Contour | No Offset path which cuts from the surface to the bottom of the stock — Carbide Create can’t preview it, but it will cut with the tip of the endmill at the tip of the star which will be as sharp as yours is drawn.

3 Likes

OK, I will give that a try this afternoon. My stock is .75 thick. Should I plane it down to the thickness I want the inlay to be?

Yes, you’ll want it to sit flush with the surface of the stock, so you’ll need the thickness to be inlay pocket depth minus glue line.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.